Tim
Tim, Sr. Engineer
Experience:  Sr. Systems and Network Engineer
75378780

Toshiba satellite radius p55w-b5220 will not start. It turns

Customer Question

Toshiba satellite radius p55w-b5220 will not start. It turns on, but Windows will not load.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.
hi there, i'm Tim and will be helping you today.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tim. Can you help me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello?
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.
Yes, would you be will int to take a phone call so i explain further there if needed.
But it sounds like the operating system may have encountered an error. When you boot up, do you see any text at all on the screen. like the bios or any thing like you use to see before windows would load? If so we need to reboot and while its restarting keep hitting f8 - this will take you into the start up section of the PC, you will want to select safe mode with networking and see if windows boots.
If you see absolutely nothing after booting up, theres a chance the Video card has died on the laptop, which is a much worse problem and not very fixable, and if it was it would be very expensive, that also goes for the motherboard (could cause same issue) The only really easily replaceable parts in a laptop are memory and the harddrive.
Let me know.
Regards,
Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've tried starting with F2 and with F8, and neither works. The screen is lit, so I don't think it's video card.
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.
ok, by lite you mean the back light on the border of the screen is illuminated and bleeds through abit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not as dark as when it's off completely.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The whole screen is "lit" to gray. But I don't know what abit means.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This website is crap.
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.
What i mean is when the unit is powered on you are getting a display other than when its off, so a dark grey or an illuminated black is what im referring to.
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.
As i was saying, the color of the screen when booted on is just showing the LCD backlighting is on, thus making the screen Grey-ish. Its not getting any signal from the Video card to pixilate and show text or images on the screen, its a very clear indicator of a bad video card.
- Tim
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.
If none of this makes sense to you, i can open it up to another expert, but i'm afraid you will get the same reply, its a bad video card and needs to be replaced, or diagnosed in person by Thoshiba. Replacing a video card on a laptop is at least 400.00, and in that case its better to retrieve your data and buy a new unit -
I'm sorry you are upset with the site, and also that you don't like the answer i have, again let me know and i'll open it to others.
Thanks,
Tim