Kamil Anwar, Laptop Specialist Technician
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
69350257

I have a 1737 dell laptop. The hinge on the left side broke.

Customer Question

I have a 1737 dell laptop. The hinge on the left side broke. I was wondering if I could transfer the hard drive from that computer to a 15" laptop. Does the 15" have to have the same operating system as my current laptop. The operating system is vista.
John Rowe
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Kamil Anwar replied 1 year ago.
Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer.
By transfer, do you just want to add this drive as a external drive or do you want to connect it internally as an internal drive?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
internally
So there is no drive inside the 15" Laptop? Or is there one already there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no drive in the 15"
Since there is no hard drive in the 15", you can fit the one from 1737 to it. Laptops require a 2.5" drive, and this will work.
Regarding the operating system, the 15" doesn't have any at the moment.
So if the previous hard drive from 1737 had the operating system already installed, then you can fit it in. If it doesn't has any operating system on it, then you can install one on it after it has been fitted. We can use the same OS from the 1737 to install and use it's activation/license key to activate it.
However, with any such migration it would be best to keep a back up of all your files before moving the drive incase there is a problem, you can reinstall windows and put the data back.
Hope this helps.
Let me know if you have any questions. If i have answered your question, then a rating will be appreciated.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks I will give it a tryJohn
You're Welcome.