Bryan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ years of professional support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.
12615041

I have a new (about 1 month old) PC (laptop) running Windows

Customer Question

I have a new (about 1 month old) PC (laptop) running Windows 8.1. Until recently it had two logins: one for my wife, one for me; both admin accounts. Although I know I should not, I continued to use my login for general usage. Then, yesterday morning, the cursor disappeared. I must have done something, but I don't know what. The screens looked quite normal, but there was no cursor visible. I am not a novice, and I spent a couple of hours investigating this situation, but found nothing useful. moving around on the keypad did nothing I could see; pressing always showed spreading rings around the same spot on the screen. Meanwhile, my wife's login was normal -- the cursor was present and everything worked. So at last I began the tedious task of creating a normal (non-admin) login for myself. Here, the cursor was normal also, but lots of stuff isn't present and needs to be added in by hand. Question: what happened, and how can I get my cursor back?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Hi, and thank you for asking your question.
First off, please login to another admin account, and then press the Windows key + R (on your keyboard) to bring up the RUN box.
Type in "rstrui" (without the quotes) and press ENTER. A System Restore window should come up.
If a restore point is already selected, select "Choose a different restore point" and click Next.
At the next screen, select a restore point dated BEFORE you started having this issue with the cursor. Click Next > Finish.
Allow the system restore to complete, and then restart your system normally. Does this roll back the issue all right?
You may get back to this page after the restore, through your emails received from JustAnswer. Do keep me posted. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to try a solution a bit less severe. A LOT of important programs would have to be replaced if I go through with this. I will try it as a last resort, but is there any other option?
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Hmm, you just need to restore your system back to an available date before yesterday (when the issue started), say a week earlier. Only the programs installed AFTER that date will be rolled back, and all of your personal data, e.g. documents, pictures, etc. will remain intact.
Do let me know what you think, please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well, I checked programs that would be affected. Because I had created my non-admin account before the change, a lot of programs such as Mathematica, would have to be reinstalled. This makes me very nervous. Besides, I really want to know what happened, and your method would leave this in doubt
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Oh, I see - in that, let's skip the restore altogether. Now, it does seem like you may have pressed a key combination that disabled the cursor on the affected account.
Could you let me know what's the make and model of the laptop, please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Make: Toshiba Satellite
Model: C75D-B7100
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Now, please login to the affected account first, and then press FN + F5 together (once); does this bring back the cursor?
Keep me posted.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Hi, could you update me on the issue please? Did pressing FN + F5 bring back the cursor all right?
Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Once more: I tried this press "FN+F5", and the system apparently crashed! I was unable to get back to you. This mornings post is first chance, and I MAY have opened two or three more accounts whilst trying to get back into contact. Hope we can unscramble these and get back to the question!
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Hmm. May I set up a quick remote session, which will allow me to connect directly to your screen and assist you with this issue?
Keep me posted.