sudipto_dutta
sudipto_dutta, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Computer Hardware EngineerCertificate Course In Computer Maintenance,8+ years of Experience in computer troubleshooting
15197395

I have an old Toshiba laptop, t4900ct, it has a hard drive

Customer Question

I have an old Toshiba laptop, t4900ct, it has a hard drive and a 3.5 floppy disk drive. Right now it says no rom basic, use Toshiba basic. How can I get my o/s back?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  sudipto_dutta replied 1 year ago.
Thank You!! for posting your Question.My name is ***** ***** today I will assist you to solve or identify your problem.
If there is no active partition defined, the master boot record returns an error to the BIOS. In some cases, the master boot code attempts to go to ROM Basic when no bootable disk is found. Since some computers do not have ROM Basic, they display a NO ROM BASIC or other error message. The message displayed is dependent upon the computer's BIOS.
It means your laptop is unable to detect the hard drive anymore, which indicates that the hard drive is defective. As the laptop model is too old, I am unable to find any guide to remove the hard drive,because this can also happen due to loose connection of the hard drive, sometimes removing and reseating the hard drive solve the problem, if you are able to remove the hard drive then, check the result for confirmation, if the problem persist then, unfortunately the hard drive is defective and you have to replace it to solve the problem.
If you have not used the floppy drive or the disks for a long time then, they can be defective and that is why you cannot boot from the them, or else you have to change the boot priority in the BIOS.
I have some queries, can you tell me, why you are still using a such old model ? because I don't think, you are going to get any replacement spares for this laptop, as the laptop is obsolete now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have modern laptops, I still like to work with the old ones, you don't have any more specific info?
OK, honestly speaking giving specific information is little tough on this model, I know the reason for that error message and I have provided that, is it possible to check the floppy disk on any other PC, because that will confirm, if the problem is with the disk itself or the drive of the laptop.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can Toshiba provide software for a model this old? the floppy is an internal drive and there is on usb port on this old a machine. It is unlikely the floppy and hard drive would die at the same time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I get into the bios?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Never mind, I will try other sources. thank you anyway
You can check the link below . No, both hard drive and floppy drive will not die at the same time, but if you have not used the floppy drive or disks for a long time, which is very common when we have hard drive, they can get defective due to dust. That is why I am asking, if you can check the disks on any other PC or not, because if the disks are working then, you can use an USB floppy drive to boot that laptop.
http://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=1073769832