Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  12+ years experience. Expert in repairing various laptop models
50064670

Expert, My windows 7 version has suddenly become

Customer Question

Hello Expert,
My windows 7 version has suddenly become deactivated, and when I try to go through the process of trying to Activate my windows, I get an error message - A problem occurred when Windows tried to activate. Error Code OxC004F074. For a possible resolution, click More Information. Contact your system administrator or technical support department for assistance. Help please.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.

Hello Sir/Madam. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.

Can I remote onto your Machine and have a look at your problem? It’s fully secure and you can see what I am doing at all times. If you wish I can send you the details to connect.

Regards
Jins

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for responding to my additional services offer. Now please try to activate yourself.

This Microsoft KB article may be able to help.

When trying to activate you get 0xC004F074 with description "The Key Management Server (KMS) is unavailable"

Here's the download link for the hotfix mentioned in the KB article. You would use the Windows Server 2008 downloads (not the Itanium one) for Windows 7.

An update is available for Windows Vista and for Windows Server 2008 to extend KMS activation support for Windows 7 and for Windows Server 2008 R2

Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I would prefer no remote control to my workstation.

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Please follow the instructions below and try to fix the activation problem yourself.

Regards
Jins

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am using Windows 7 64-bit version, and tried both downloads for standard and 64-bit version, and both dont work. see attachment.

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, type cmd in the start menu search text box.Right Click on the cmd listed and select Run as Administrator. You will get open a black command window.

Now type following command on that command window.

slmgr.vbs -ipk your -oroginal-product key

After changing the key, type slmgr.vbs -ato on the command prompt and press Enter.

Check and let me know the result.

Regards

Jins

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for delay, I need to find my original product key, I have the DVD in the attic. Will need to find and try what your saying.
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, take your own time and let me know the result.

Regards
Jins