Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  15 Years saving Laptops from the recyling bin! Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

Toshiba Satellite a135-s4527. Had to replace hard drive, ordered

Customer Question

Toshiba Satellite a135-s4527. Had to replace hard drive, ordered recovery media from Toshiba and it will not load. Receive a Windows boot Manager message saying that Windows has encountered a problem. I am able to load Windows XP in it with no problem. Why won't recovery disk load? Possibly faulty recovery disk?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today!
Recovery media is a bit misleading. The recovery media they send has always been a bit finicky.
Question, you mentioned installing windows xp. But do you remember what version of windows was on the machine, before the hard drive failure?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Windows Vista.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
32 bit version
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Do you know for *certain* whether it was Starter, home basic, home premium, or ultimate?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Home Premium OEMAct according to the sticker on the computer
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Excellent.
What you are going to have to do, is use another computer. download the 32 bit iso file on this page
http://getintopc.com/softwares/operating-systems/windows-vista-home-premium-download-iso-32-bit-64-bit/
Scroll down till you see two download links in blue, that say 32 and 64 bit.
Choose the 32 bit download.. download the file.. Its 2 gigabytes.
Then once downloaded. You want to create a dvd from the iso file.
Dont just copy the iso file to the disk.. You need to actually burn the iso image to the disk using a program such as nero, or the free imgburn program
You can get imgburn here
http://imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
And heres how to burn the vista ISO image to a disk
http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?/topic/11194-how-to-create-a-windows-vista-7-8-installation-disc-bootable-using-imgburn/
Once created.. Simply boot the toshiba from t he disk. Clean install windows vista.
Then, go to the toshiba website and manually download your unique drivers for your Video card, sound card, and wireless network adapter. ( those are the main ones to be concerned with )
That should get you a running version of windows. If you wanted, after you install windows with the disk, you could still attempt to run the toshiba recovery disks.
Thats up to you.. I find it more reliable t hough, to manually download the drivers from the toshiba site.
let me know if you run into any issues.
I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent submitted below this answer when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.
Dustin S.
Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.