Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  12+ years experience. Expert in repairing various laptop models
50064670

DELL XPS 12 convertible will not boot after DELL LOGO Black

Customer Question

DELL XPS 12 convertible will not boot after DELL LOGO Black Screen.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Hello Sir/Madam. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.
Please follow the steps below:
Restart or Start your computer.
Press and release F8 key continuously when system starts (If you miss this you will have to go to step 1 once again) and a booting menu will appear.
Use arrow buttons and Enter to select Advanced Boot Options and then select Repair.
Let me know the result.
Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NOTHING...JUST DELL LOGO AND TIMER FOR ABOUT 2 SECONDS AND BLACK SCREEN.
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, restart the system. While system starts, repetedly press and release F12 key. Do you getting a boot selection option ?
Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
YES..GREY BOX WITH UEFI: BOOT: WINDOWS BOOT MANAGER OTHER OPTIONS: DIAGONOSTICS, ENTER SET UP ETC.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IT ALSO STATES THAT SECURE BOOT IS ON. THERE IS AN ENTER SETUP AND PERIPHERAL DEVICE SETTING AS WELL AND A CHANGE BOOT MODE SETTING
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, select windows boot manager and press Enter. If still black window, restart the system and access the boot option again. Then select Diagnostics and follow the onscreen instructions.
Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
GETTING THE MULTI SCREEN ePSA PRE-BOOT SYSTEM ASCESSMENT-SERVICE TAG 461NNXI--HAVE ALREADY PREFORMED THIS ASCESSMENT TWICE.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
BOOT OPTION AS WELL AS DIAGNOSTICS ARE BOTH FOLLOWED BY DELL LOGO AND TIMER FOR 2 SECONDS AND THEN BLACK SCREEN.
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, can you please give
Error Code (without 2000-prefix)
Validation Code
and Service Tag
it shows you.
Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO ERROR CODE-JUST BLACK SCREEN-SERVICE TAG 461NNX1
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
BUILD 4222.7 UFIROM
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I WAS RUNNING WINDOWS 10 EVALUATION WHEN THIS OCCURED. I DECIDED TO PERFORM A REFRESH WITHOUT CHANGE WHEN THIS RESTART ISSUE BEGAN.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I DO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH A "FULL SYSTEM RESTORE". IF ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY. DO NOT KNOW HOW TO PERFORM THE SYSTEM RESTORE WITH OUT A REBOOT.
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Then please reset the system BIOS to defaults. Follow the steps below:
Power on the system and tap at the ‘Dell’ logo
Press on the ‘System Setup Utility’ screen and then press ‘Enter’
Press to ‘Save Changes and Exit’ and press ‘Enter’ again
Check and let me know the result.
Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are we speaking for the DELL LOGO on the Screen for 2 seconds before BLACK SCREEN? I can not find another DELL LOGO anywhere.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can not find a DELL LOGO anywhere except the START UP DELL for 2 seconds. I have TAPPED with FINGER TOUCH SCREEN as well as Mouse POINTER. Nothing but BLACK SCREEN>
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, we are speaking about the DELL LOGO on the Screen for 2 seconds before BLACK SCREEN. You should tap key immediately after system starts.
Then press on the ‘System Setup Utility’ screen and then press ‘Enter’
Check and let me know the result.
Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NOTHING..JUST BLACK SCREEN..DOES NOT RESPOND TO TOUCH SCREEN.
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Boot your computer
When the Dell logo appears on your screen, hold the Ctrl key and press F11 simultaneously. You should very careful on this step. Immediately after power ON the system, hold down the Ctrl key and tap F11 key continuously.
The Dell PC Restore by Symantec screen should now appear
Select Restore and follow the instructions of the wizard. Use the Tab key to highlight “Restore” and make the selection
When the “all data will be lost” warning message appears, click Confirm (or use the Tab key to select Confirm)
Press Enter
The progress screen will appear and the restore process starts. This process can take up to 10 minutes
A success message will appear when the process is finished: The system recovery process was successful.
Click Finish (or use the Tab key to select Finish)
Press Enter
Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I DID THIS SYSTEM RESTORE WITH F11 several times with WINDOWS XP IN THE PAST. NOT WORKING WITH 8.1 (10 EVALUATION). TRIED SEVERAL TIMES.JUST BLACK SCREEN.
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like, the installation of Windows 10 evaluation removed the dell recovery partition. Then, you need Windows 8 installation disk to install. Do you have any Recovery disks or Installation Disks from dell ?
Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NOI I DO NOT.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO DISC OR CD PLAYER OR READER ON THIS LAPTOP.
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, then please go to
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media
and create an installation media on USB disk. Then boot from the installation media and install Windows 8 on your system. (To boot from the USB, press F12 when system starts and select USB disk to boot from.)
Please check the following page to see the details of creating installation media with the MS Create Media tool.
http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-microsoft-windows-and-office/download-microsoft-windows/download-windows-8-1-retail-and-oem-iso/
Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a 1 year ole RECOVERY FILE on a FLASH DRIVE> I'll try that first.
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, try with it. If it not works, try my suggestion. If you need any help, let me know.
Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was able to correct myself without RECOVERY DISC. Thanks for your help however. I tried all of your suggestions without success.
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sir, Happy to hear it worked. Can you please let me know how you fixed the problem ? It will help me in future while assisting customers with the same problem.
Remember us, when you need any assistance again. Your business is very valuable for us. You can ask a question directly to me by going to http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-jinsmn/ Now let me file this question as closed.
Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HARD REBOOT AND 4 HOUR WAIT. EVENTUALLY BOOTED TO MY WINDOWS 10 EVALUATION. I LOST A FEW PREVIOUSLY SET SETTINGS. RESET AND BACK TO NORMAL. GETTING COMFORTABLE WITH 10.
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, if you want to use Windows 8, you should follow my instructions.
Regards
Jins