Kamil Anwar, Laptop Specialist Technician
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
69350257

My laptop is running really slow. i ran malwarebytes and

Customer Question

my laptop is running really slow. i ran malwarebytes and ccleaner, but with limited results. what should i do next?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Kamil Anwar replied 1 year ago.
Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer.
Thank you for your question. I will do my best to assist you.
Can you open task manager and tell me the CPU usage and Memory Usage?
Optional Remote Connect Service - Quick Resolution
Would you like me to remotely connect to your computer and fix the issue - The remote service will be an additional service for $54 but will allow me direct access to work on your issue and fix it (while you watch on your screen). If you need remote service, reply with the words "i want remote"
If you do not need the remote service, then simply provide me the requested information above. If you need remote service reply me with the words "i want remote".
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cpu varies between 1% to 14%; memory at 56%
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
...i am running two programs that i am aware of: firefox (9 tabs open), and microsoft onenote. but it was like this even at startup
cpu is normal, memory is a bit high.
which programs are consuming the most of the memory?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this program called 'rapportservice' is at 32.,396k, followed by explorer at 23,776k, then googletalkplus at 21,956k. i tried ending the process for rapportservice but it ealls me that access is denies
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
...and when i trie ending the process for googletalkplus, it automatically pops back up
Are you the admin user on this system?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
...i should be. i'm the only user on it
Okay. Please try this:
Hold windows key and Press R
type msconfig
click ok
click services tab, put check on hide all microsoft services, then click disable all
then click the start-up tab and select disable all, click apply/ok and restart the system.
then check.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi, when i try to disable as you had instructed, the system config program goes into 'not responding' mode
Please restart computer in safe mode, and then perform the steps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do i restart in safe mode
Restart the computer and repeatedly tap f8.
when you see options to boot into advanced mode, choose "safe mode"
you will then be logged into safe mode, from there you can perform the steps.
the trick is to repeatedly tap f8 as soon as computer starts, if it is missed by a second, the computer will go into normal mode instead of safe mode.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi, I did as you said in safe mode. the computer is running faster. BUT...firefox is still really slow. when I looked at processes, firefox was using a whopping 300,000 kb of memory. I began using internet explorer. it runs much faster than firefox. however, I've got about six tabs open, and each tab uses between 90,000kb and 600,000 kb memory. my memory is now at 77%. but it's not as slow as it was when I was using firefox. what gives?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also coincidentally, adobe acrobat stopped working. I'm told that it's not registered so the program ends. did this have anything to do with disabling any of the things you told me to disable?
Go to msconfig, start - up tab, and enable adobe services.
I would suggest resetting Firefox or using Chrome, because Chrome runs much faster the IE and FF.
After enabling Adobe services, please reboot.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i did ask you suggested, adobe still closes
Can you uninstall/re-install Acrobat, make sure you have the license number to re-activate it.