Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Laptop repair specialist
46034742

As part of my home theatre solution I use a Panasonic big screen

Customer Question

As part of my home theatre solution I use a Panasonic big screen projector. So far I've been able to hook up my Toshiba DVD player, my Sony Blu-Ray player and my Acer Aspire Laptop to the projector, using HDMI, and all provide good video feed. The purpose of the laptop is to be able to play movies directly from .AVI files without having to burn them to a disk first.
However, since the projector does not have built in speakers I need to have a separate sound source. I'm using a Panasonic ghetto blaster with digital auxiliary in for audio. With the DVD and Blu-Ray players that works perfectly but with the Acer laptop I am not getting any sound even with the audio out on the laptop connected to the Ghettoblaster with a stereo audio cable plugged in to the analog audio in jack.
So I think my question is, what is the best solution in a case like this where the pipsqueak audio from the Acer laptop's built in speakers does not do justice to the home theatre setting and I need somehow to transfer the audio to a better external source. What could I be troubleshooting in terms of why it won't work with the ghettoblaster?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist. If you connect a set of headphones or earbuds or external speakers to the audio out on the laptop are you able to hear anything?
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
If you aren't getting sound out the laptop you'll need to check the Windows settings. Since I don't know which version of Windows you are using so I'll have to be somewhat general but if you open Control Panel>>Sound, check to see what is listed for Playback Devices.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I apologize for the delay in providing additional information for my problem, I work as a night time security guard and spend my days sleeping so computer time is limited.
I have checked the properties for this laptop/Device Manager and there are no errors messages, Sound devices OK,
I plugged in earplugs to the sound out and it worked fine. But still does not transfer audio to aux in on my ghetto blaster.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Not a problem. We know the laptop is outputting sound so we need to move down the chain which would be the cable you're using from laptop to the boom box.
What other inputs does the ghettoblaster have. If it has a analog line in or mic input if you switch it to one of those and move the cable can you get sound?