DrKlahn
DrKlahn, Computer Engineer
Experience:  BSci: Electrical Engr., Industrial Engr, and Computer Sci.
63151004

Just bought a Samsung series 7250 uhdtv. Took it off the wall

Customer Question

Just bought a Samsung series 7250 uhdtv. Took it off the wall to paint and dropped something on it and cracked the screen. What are my options? Thanks
Category: Laptop
Expert:  DrKlahn replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. I'm Bruce, nickname "DrKlahn."
Sorry to hear you had the accident. Unfortunately this is a problem that won't be covered under the manufacturer's warranty.
This unit is relatively new on the market so the parts to repair it are not readily available except to Samsung repair centers. In any case the cost to repair through a company's official repair service usually exceeds the cost of a new unit.
There are two approaches if you did not buy an extra coverage policy from the retailer who sold you the unit:
a. Your household insurance may cover it if there is coverage for accidental damage.
b. If you bought the unit with a credit card, many credit cards offer extra coverage benefits for items purchased with their card. Typical benefits are doubling of the original warranty and accidental damage coverage, which would cover this issue. American Express and Visa gold / platinum cards typically have this as a cardholder benefit. If you think this might apply, contact your card issuer.
I would have to say that (b) looks like a better option if your card issuer offers extended warranty benefits, as this will not be subject to a policy deductible.