Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Computers and Electronics. Toshiba, Lenovo, Dell, Acer, Asus, Samsung, HP, Compaq
23511658

Need help to figure out why hotspot on my phone is not opening

Customer Question

Need help to figure out why hotspot on my phone is not opening on my laptop
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** can help you with your question. There are couple of things about hotspots that you need to know one is that it has to be provisioned by your provider as being available otherwise otherwise the hotspot just won't work. Assuming it is provisioned by your provider then when you turn the hotspot on it will create a name for your wireless network. By default will broadcast that wireless network name. Then from the client computer that you want to connect to the hotspot with, you would look for that network and connect to it using the security that was supplied when the hotspot was created. Another words the mobile device when it creates the Wi-Fi hotspot give it both an SS ID and whatever type of security you choose for it. For example WPA or some other security protocol. That is the security you use when you connect the client to it if you could please let me know where in that process it seems to be failing – is it setting it up on the phone, are you able to see it from your available wireless networks from the computer, etc.?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok I have been using this hotspot I got through my at t acct over one year ago with no problems however I just got a new phone and have not been able to get my laptop to work off the hotspot. I was able to open on the phone without problems. When I go to internet options on laptop it comes up when I hit connect it says. He long network requirements, than says Can't connect to this network. When I click on help me solve connection Problems and troubleshooting it is saying plug an Ethernet cable. Never used cable for mobile hotspot

And your correct you should not have to use a network cable for a hotspot that would totally defeat the purpose. Under tethering and hotspot you should have some option to set up the Wi-Fi hotspot. When you go into this it should ask you for a network name which you can give it anything you want and the type of security this is usually where the problem is if the wrong type of security set up the security should generally be set for WPA 2 PSK. Then put a password ***** you can easily remember. And say that the password ***** have to be at least eight characters and now when you turn on your portable Wi-Fi hotspot which also has to be done it should say that it's active and it should say if you go to it what your AP name is. Make sure on the laptop you are going into Wi-Fi networks and looking for Wi-Fi networks you should see the name of your hotspot in that Wi-Fi networks list. If it asking you to plug in an ethernet cable it's possible that you have your Wi-Fi turned off on the laptop also keep in mind that the Wi-Fi hotspot is entirely different from what is called tethering where you connect a cable to the computer. That's not what you want but it is a setting that's right next to the Wi-Fi hotspot so don't confuse the two.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok so I did what you suggested and now my laptop has is asking to network security key how do I find this out

Okay that's a good sign. The network security key is what you would've set up on your phone when you set up the hotspot the first time. In my instructions above where I say that it's generally set for WPA 2 PSK, that's where you would have put in the security and password. So the security key would be what you typed in there. It's it's just a key that you made up and put their like a password ***** security. It could be eight ones if you wanted to be there are no restrictions on as long as it's the characters. You enter it when you're setting up the Wi-Fi hotspot and then that is your security key that you enter when you're connecting to it that make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So network key would be WPA2 PSK

Yes, but that has to match what you said it for when you set up the mobile hotspot.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for getting back. How do I find network key still stuck here. Your assistance is appreciated

You actually create the network a when you turn on the hotspot. If you go to where you turn on the hotspot on the mobile device, you'll see security settings. That is where you enter the mobile key – you are making it up it just has to be the same once you put it there on the network he would do attach.