Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Laptop repair specialist
46034742

I'm trying to repair a friends computer. He owns a Lenovo Y510P

Customer Question

I'm trying to repair a friends computer. He owns a Lenovo Y510P laptop running Windows 8.1 x64. He's had many issues with it to date, but the most current problem is that he had to do a system restore. Ever since then, most of the USB devices that he has won't connect, returning "device configured (null)", and no compatible drivers are installed.
We've attempted to download all of the current drivers from Lenovo's website, installations come back either up to date or 'newer version installed'. The devices in question (External HDD and Astro Wireless Transmitter for headphones) are supposed to work from WDM drivers, but none can be located.
Any thoughts on how we can get things working again?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello,My name is Jason. I look forward to helping you today.I can see that you may need a little bit of extra help.May I ask if you still need help with this problem? If so, may I start a screen sharing session on your computer and help you resolve the problem? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do still need help, and no, I'm unable to start a screen sharing session. I'll provide any info required.

Thank you for the update.I offered the remote service as an option due to the fact that this particular problem can have several different culprits, which means there are several different possible solutions depending on what the actual culprit is.A good choice would be to undo the system restore so that this specific problem will not be there anymore. After the system restore is complete, please describe what the problem is that required the system restore so I can tell you how to fix that.