Martin, Network Engineer
Experience:  10+ Years Experience CCNA Network Engineer A+ Net+ Linux & Windows OS C++ Programming
74139101

I have the black screen of death on HP Pavilion G using Windows

Customer Question

I have the black screen of death on HP Pavilion G using Windows 7. I was able to enter safe mode yesterday with F8 and use but this morning F8, shift-F8 and another combo of keys does nothing. The computer powders on an just stays black??
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Hello, welcome to JustAnswer my name is ***** ***** I'm one of the experts who will be assisting you today.
When was the last time it worked properly?
You mentioned since this morning it no longer goes into safe mode, do you get to see the screen that gives you safe mode as one of the boot options or does it go blank before that?
Regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Martin: It had a black screen yesterday. I pulled out the battery and was able to get into safe mode where I told it to start normally. It worked but then when it went into hibernation and it went black. I have tried multiple times and ways to get it into safe mode this morning without any success. Just powers on and goes black.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
What happens if you press and hold the power button for a full 6 seconds until you hear the machine turn off, then power it back on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe I have done that but can try again. It is off now.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Ok let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Same. Turns off and then pressing F8 does nothing.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
What do you do immediately after you power it off? Do you push the power button first or press F8?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done it both ways but most times power and then immediately tap F8.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Without pressing F8, make sure it's on first then press the power button until it turns completely off (takes about 6 seconds) then once it's off power it back on and just observe the screen.What sequence does it go through?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All that happens is the button light goes on, the fan goes on and then a short click (DVD player) and that is it. Screen stays black. No change at all.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Are there any CDs / DVDs or external USB devices connected?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
What if instead of pressing F8 as soon as the computer boots you press F11 or F12?Try with F11 first then with F12 and see if any other menus come up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe I tried F12, but not F11. Tried space bar and return key as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing. Tried shift F8 as well
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
F11 does nothing also?
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Does the screen ever show anything on screen before it goes blank?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. It does nothing. Only way I would know it is on is the fan and the power button light and indicator
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
What you will need to do is connect an external monitor to see if it's a problem with the screen or the actual motherboard
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good idea. We have our TV set up to stream with another labtop. I'll just switch it out. Give me a couple of minutes. It is in the other room.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Sure
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I am back. There was no response. The monitor did not even recognize the laptop. Screen is ok, it is clearly not booting up..Weird it did it one time yesterday after the problem started.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Maybe yesterday it was showing its last signs of life - it sounds like a motherboard problem, you will have to get it looked at by someone who knows electronics at a computer shop
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah that was what I feared. Thanks.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I appreciate it how does the work with payment if problem was not solved. We tried everything I had done already. I also was set up for a free trial.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
You will need to ask billing about the payments, we only deal with the technical problems.
You can contact them here: ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us
Sorry if the formatting comes out wrong, we're currently testing a new chat system.
If you have any doubts or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you're happy with the service I'm providing so far feel free to click on one of the 5 stars above followed by Finish as it would be greatly appreciated!
Remember you can continue replying to me until you've got all the information you need.
Regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do.