Richard Hall
Richard Hall, Microsoft Certified
Experience:  Chief Information Officer at Spectrum Contracting Serv.
77993500

Need to buy a second laptop. Love my 2012 "Lenovo X1 Carbon,

Customer Question

Need to buy a second laptop. Love my 2012 "Lenovo X1 Carbon, 3448-2D9, Intel Core i7, 2.0 GHz, 8GB, 240 GB" that I bought used on eBay last year. Perhaps there are newer models with faster better features. Could you suggest some for me? Thanks!
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Richard Hall replied 1 year ago.
I'm Richard.
First you would need to let me know a budget. That is an issue of course, but so is bang for your buck. I can get in the $1000 range and tell you one my surprise picks that actually beat the lenovo, Toshiba, Acer and Dell.
It's somewhat really about what your primary use of the machine is going to be. Mine is for all around use with horsepower.
Let me know a little more information, and i can tell you my opinion.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1000-2000; higher suggested retail models would be good if I can find them silightly used on eBay.
They're for a combination
-Quicken
-Word processing with Dragon Medical Practice which needs a minimum of 4GB RAM--but even with my 8GB it can slow the computer down
-FoxIt Phantom PDF for reading and modifying PDFs
-web for downloading journal articles.
-Skype
-online language courses.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
price range $1000-2000 that is
I looked and the exact laptop I am using is on ebay now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HP-ENVY-17t-Quad-Core-i7-4720HQ-12GB-RAM-1TB-DVDRW-Win-7-PRO-17-3-/321726950951?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae86bae27 The video card has dedicated memory, so your system memory is not tasked, which is common in many laptops. It has 12 gb Dedicated ram, and a great processor for the price. I was reluctant to choose an HP, after being so tied to Sony, which in fact was purchased by lenovo.I ended up choosing this laptop over the lenovo because the two side by side had good performance, but the 17" screen has a much better display, and for audio applications the beats audio is a good sound basis for the system. It has dragon assistant on it, and it understands from the built in mic very well, but naturally would be better with a line in microphone. I have used it for dictation, voice commands and it makes a great travel companion with the screen size. It does have a non-split mouse, which if you haven't used before can be an adjustment.,Other than that and the two days it took me to get my eyes adjusted to the larger screen, I have no complaints. It's cool, very fast, and 1 tb of storage helps as well.It comes with foxit, and many other good applications. Most importantly, I think you will be amazed by the price. It was $1000+ when I purchase, I see it now on ebay for a little less. Lenovo is good, but I am unimpressed by the display on the new models, and the plastic hinges on the newer ones have a more than higher than average failure rate.You could easily purchase this from the HP store at $1000 now new. And I believe you will be satisfied with the bang you will get for your buck.The backlit keypad has come in handy on flights as well, and which is rare nowadays, it does of a cd/dvd drive. Which I still find occasion to use. I tested and retested this vs. the above and a few different acer aspires. In the end I chose this one. It is touch screen capable as well. Hope this helps. Richard
I should add the laptop I purchased does have Windows 8.1 and came preloaded as such.
I'll find the exact link for you if this seems like a viable option.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks!
I'm already using Win 8.1 with a Stardock Win 7 shell so if I got this one, I'd like the 8.1I have access to an external drive so don't need DVD.I like the specs of what you showed me; I love how extremely thin & light my Carbon x1 is.
Is there another option that is light and so thin?Thanks again!
Sure. Most of the thinner books are not so much on screen size. Do you have a preference as far as screen size goes? Thanks,Richard
If you like Lenovo, then a thinner device that you can build to meet your specifications would be the T540P.
Just click on view or Customize and you will be in your price range for a new laptop with a lot more horsepower especially if you choose the alternative to the onboard graphics. I was able to easily get one in the price range with an i7 core processor, 1tb hard drive and dedicated video card.
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/t-series/t540p/
Mess around a little with the features and I think you will be pleased with the overall price in accordance with your specifications.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm just about to check your link. I do prefer a larger screen, 15" or so for when I don't use a monitor.
I put that screen size right in the middle, 15.6" for that particular system. Richard
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Richard. I'm not that savvy, so can you explain which is the alternative to onboard graphics: are you saying something like a discreet video card is better than onboard and would consume less memory & power?Though my current system sounded fast to me, it slows a bit when I use "Dragon Medical Practice." at that time, when I type the characters don't appear in their field.Also, is the T540p available without a drive?
Basically, with a dedicated video card, you are freeing up memory, as onboard memory is taken up by the video when it is integrated into the motherboard. This has an option for a dedicated video card. The nvidia card has dedicated 1gb memory for it alone. This also increases CPU efficiency.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Understood.
Which "part" like how many GHz, or size of RAM will prevent the computer from this delay in keystrokes showing up on the screen? thanks.
Quite honestly, without knowing all applications and services that are running, there are so many possibilities that it would be impossible to speculate.I can tell you that you will have the available horsepower necessary to accomplish above average computing. Once you have decided and make your purchase, perhaps our next project can be to setup the new system together to maximize efficiency. Thanks,Richard