Bryan, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Old and new, laptops and desktops. I repair and refurbish them all. I know the inner workings very well.

i wasnt finished with jbryan42, can we reconnect?

Category: Laptop
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 months ago.

JBryan42 :

I'm here

Customer:

jesus, laptop went to sleep n had to restart n lost u, am i still getting nailed for another 48 for losing u?

Customer:

well put in sabertooth.

Customer:

it didnt work either, so it must be the psu?

JBryan42 :

Nope. The first one won't go through.

JBryan42 :

Yep. but that's not too bad. That's a lot easier to replace than the motherboard.

Customer:

u sure its psu?

Customer:

that was one of best psu by pc cooling and power

JBryan42 :

Well, let's verify it this way. Disconnect everything from the motherboard except the CPU and the wires that go to the case. Remove the memory and any additional cards you have plugged in. Then try to power on and see what happens.

JBryan42 :

How much are you looking to spend on a PSU? And how many watts do you need?

Customer:

my laptop keep going into sleep even thou i dont have that in power setting at all, then i cant get it out of sleep

JBryan42 :

I personally love the Seasonic series.

Customer:

whatever i need to

JBryan42 :

I'd go with a 1000 watt Seasonic. Excellent rating, relatively quiet, and nice clean power.

Customer:

my grand plan was 2 cards sli but i m only gonna go with 1 760 4gb so whaqt u think i need 500?

Customer:

they make corsairs dont they?

JBryan42 :

It's always better to have too much power than too little. Most modern machine should be 750 - 1000. Yes, they do make Corsairs.

Customer:

i heard the platinum 80s have a high piched drive u nuts sound on planinum 80 seasonis and corsairs

Customer:

that pc cooling 1 had 950

JBryan42 :

That may be. I haven't tried that one. I've got a Gold rated 1000 Seasonic that is great.

Customer:

guessing 180?

JBryan42 :

I think it was $250 ... it was last year sometime that I got it.

Customer:

so in your opinion it definitly psu?

Customer:

i was wondering why it was on sale for $105 for silver rated pc power and cooling silencer

JBryan42 :

Well, try what I mentioned above with removing all the components and see if you get any power at all. But right now, yes it does look like it's the psu.

JBryan42 :

You can also pick up a PSU tester from ebay if you like. It will almost definitely show you a LL (or no output) on the 12v rail.

Customer:

season is 1 rail?

Customer:

seasonic

JBryan42 :

I think it's a dual .... 1 sec

Customer:

another Q, i have 760gtx 4gb and 760gtx2gb, could u sli those ?

Customer:

760gtx 4gb came OCed to

JBryan42 :

It is a single rail actually. The Corsair HX1000 is dual. It doesn't look like you can sli those ... they have different cores.

Customer:

mm

Customer:

ok man, ill rate u b4 i go into sleep mobe this time. ty

Customer:

excellent

JBryan42 :

hehehe ... alright, take care. Feel free to ask for me again anytime you need anything. :)

Bryan, Computer Enthusiast
Experience: Old and new, laptops and desktops. I repair and refurbish them all. I know the inner workings very well.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

i put sabertooth in there. same thing doesnt work.
so does that mean psu?

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 months ago.
Yep. I'd say it is. Did you try it with only the power button switch, power cables from psu (24pin and 4pin), cpu and cpu fan connected? In other words, no drives connected, no video cards, no external connections (except the power cable), and nothing connected to usb or esata ports? Actually try it in that configuration, but with the RAM installed, then again without RAM installed.

If either of those configurations gives power to the CPU fan, then we have to dig deeper.