Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  20+ Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt

I HAVE TOSHIBA SATELLITE L855-S5405 AND HAVE WINDOWS 8 WHAT

Customer Question

I HAVE TOSHIBA SATELLITE L855-S5405 AND HAVE WINDOWS 8 WHAT WILL BE THE BEST WAY TO RESET WINDOWS PASSWORD XXXXX SOME REAZON DONT LET ME LOG IN
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is Michael. I will be your Primary Care Technician and I can assist you with your question.

On Windows 8, your options are limited because the OS is quite secure. Do you know if you are using a local computer account, or if you are using your Microsoft account? If you were using your Microsoft Account to sign in to the computer, then if we can get you access to that account, your problem will be solved. Otherwise, you may have to do a re-install of Windows 8 - not a difficult thing generally, but you would not have access to the data on the computer before it is erased.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thats brand new computer

Do you mean that you just set it up and don't remember the password that you used? If that's the case, then you can do the re-install and go through the setup again. If that would be acceptable, I can give you those instructions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I THINK I DONT HAVE ANOTHER OPTION BUT I AM CONCERN ABOUT THE LIMIT OF THE ANSWER YOU CAN GIVE ME I WANT SOLVE THE PROBLEM

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying is your concern. If you can elaborate on that I can address it. As I understand your situation, you have a new computer that you set up, but cannot access. What I am proposing is that you reset the system to go through the setup again so that you can enter your account information. You user name and password are set up during the Windows 8 setup process. Once you do the setup, you must use that account to access your computer.

If this is not the problem you are having, let me know and I will adjust the information accordingly.

So far, my understanding is that you have the Toshiba with Windows 8 installed and set up, but you are unable to access it because it will not accept your password. Is that accurate?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

100 % acurate

OK. Excellent. Thank you. Fortunately, Toshiba makes this a pretty easy situation to get out of - actually they make it easy to get out of any situation and bring things back to the way the computer was right out of the box. The only possible drawback (and also the reason it fixes anything) is that it erases everything and starts fresh. So you basical have as many "do over"s as you need. This is a great safety net to have.

All you should have to do is power off the computer. Make sure it's completely powered down by holding the power for several seconds - if it's in sleep or hibernation this won't work. Then power the computer on while holding the 0 (zero) key and it should start up in "Recovery" mode. From recovery mode, you can select a restore to "factory image'. The wording my differ slightly, but it should say "factory" something. When you select this option, it will erase and re-install windows and should be exactly as it was when you took it out of the box. Then you can set up Windows with your personal settings again.

There is no limit to the number of times you can do this as long as the drive's recovery partition is left on the computer, so it's not a situation where you are at any disadvantage by doing this. It also is the exact same image that it came with when you first turned it on.

If you have any questions or if that doesn't invoke the recovery, let me know and I'll help you get to the recovery - there is more than one way to do it, but that is the easiest way. Let me know if you have any questions.

Jehu, I just realized that on your model, the key press might be different. If pressing 0 doesn't start recovery, then try pressing F12 when you turn it on, then use the arrow keys to select the HDD Recovery option and then press enter and follow the prompts from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i am on advanced option and i just want to confirm the system image recovery

That is correct.

Jehu... how did you make out?