Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Laptop repair specialist

My Lenovo E430 has somehow lost its authorized Windows 7 Pro

My Lenovo E430 has somehow lost its authorized Windows 7 Pro OA which came with the laptop as delivered by Lenovo in 2012. I have tried all the fixes but no avail. I do not want to spend $149. on a new copy of W 7.
The serial # XXXXX the computer for the Windows is XGCXQ-PQJ8V-FVDT3-98P83-RW7MJ
Help! Glenn Meteer
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Charles A. Roberts replied 1 year ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your question. I am sorry this problem has happened to you. Just to verify the question am I correct when I say that windows 7 has some how became un registered?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes Charles, the screen is black with the normal icons, and in small script at the right bottom of the screen it basically says "not registered copy of Windows"

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No password XXXXX

Oh my, I am very sorry to hear that Deanna that can be a pain. Do you when exactly this problem started meaning date or estimation of possibly how long ago?Surprised Also is it asking for a password XXXXX well?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it started this morning, after freezing up last night

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no, not asking for a password

Ok, that's not good and again I am very sorry about this. I have an idea if you haven't already done this, are you able to get into windows I am assuming you are since you can see icons and have you tried restoring this machine to a date before this problem occurred?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, windows still works normally, but it seems to not be the real copy. I tried to do a restore a while ago, but it just kept "initializing" and grinding away, no result.

it says, "windows is not genuine"

Ok, how far did you go back and have you tried any later dates by chance? I am not going to sugar coat this I really wish I could. I am sorry to say there was either a worm or window corruption for a windows update that caused this problem. If an even earlier date does not solve the problem I know a cheaper what to get the software to fix this. Check to see if there are anymore earlier dates I am going to check to see if this machine has a recovery partition built in at all while you are doing that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, I will try again

OK, I have an idea. We are going to try and trigger a recovery program if it's available on your machine. Turn the computer off. Repeatedly press and release the F11 key when turning on the computer. When you hear beeps or see a logo screen, release the F11 key. Tell me if anything comes up at all. By the way please ignore the rating system for now.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Charles, I did the system restore using the F11 key, but the system won't pick a date before today, June 26 So it can't get back to the uncorrupted Windows 7

OK did it by chance give you the option to do a factory restore or anything like that? It might say restore your system. What did it say during the F11 option?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It will allow a system restore of Windows, but will wipe out all the saved data by doing so. The F11 took me straight to restore. Any way to get it to pick an earlier date, say, June 25th?

I'm very sorry however if the computer never created a recovery date for June 25th then it's not going to be possible. Running the system restore yes it will wipe everything out but you would not have to but a new copy of windows. If you don't do random or keep back ups of your data to prevent loss of data from problems like this things can be lost. The only other way would be to have a windows 7 disk sent to you from Lenovo and you can write over that current install. It would auto register without a key and you can write over the windows installation that is currently on the C: drive. Again I know this can be complicated but sadly this is the end result in this kind of malfunction. The only good news is you have a way to repair it. You can save your data to flash drive or external hard drive or by burning a disk since you can still get into the machine then I would highly advise running the full reset. I also need to let you know you would need to reinstall all of your programs that you added.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Charles, I would like to use a disc from Lenovo to write over the current installed windows. Can you have a disc sent to me? Thanks, Glenn

I'm sorry I can not. However Lenovo can. What you would need to do is contact Lenovo. Let them know you need the operating system disk for your machine. You can contact them at 1-800-426-7378.

Keep in mind it will save everything to a folder called windows.old. You would still need to reinstall your programs.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to let me know...
Positive Feedback and Bonuses are not expected, but are always appreciated!

Charles A. Roberts, Computer Enthusiast
Experience: Laptop repair specialist

Thank you Deanna for the positive feedback you are too kind. You have some great options for this problem to be fixed. Again I do highly recommend the full system reset. Please have a good day and let me know at any time if you have any other questions and I appreciate you being my customer.