Richard, Laptop Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Computers, Mobile devices and Networks
32989067

Hi - I have a problem with my computer. Apparently, it has

Hi - I have a problem with my computer. Apparently, it has decided to lock me out as an administrator for some reason. Everything seems to be correct in terms of set up. I have Windows 7 Home Ed, on an HP Compaq Presario laptop, 64-bit, model CQ60-615DX. I am the only user of this PC. I have tried to set myself up as another user with admin. privileges - but it doesn't take. Is there a way that I can verify my computer name - user name - and password? I really need to get this straightened out. This has been going on for awhile. For example, I tried to move MS Office 7 to a different file folder and the message comes back saying that I don't have the authority to do so for this task. Sometimes on tasks that I attempt. I'll get the same message ie. not being able to change something in MS Excel. These are just examples - it happens with many other programs too.Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I am not a sophisticated computer user. Thank you so much. Jane
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your Question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

To confirm, you go to Start, Control Panel, User Accounts.

Click on your Account and it is checked as an admin account correct?

Please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When User accounts comes up on my screen - there is a box to the upper right that shows my name, my picture and is identified as Adminsitrator - is that what you want?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Yes thanks Jane, then you are administrator.

There are somethings you can just not do. For instance, when you tried to move the Office Folder, this would have caused Office to crash and not work. The reason is the computer has it registered in this location, you cannot just move it (you need to uninstall and reinstall to another location), but this is why it errored and stopped you.

Somethings require an Elevated level of access to run. This means, you mkist then RIGHT Click on the file and select Run as Administrator.

This is not related to your account, all accounts have to do this, it is a security feature in Windows.

You are setup correctly, I think you are just doing things in programs which is not possible.

Can you give me an exact message you got in Excel please? I can then check the cause of this.

Richard, Laptop Specialist
Experience: Over 15 year experience in Computers, Mobile devices and Networks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I try to acess anything in MS Office - I receive the following message: You do not have sufficient acess... see your administrator. My PC Name isXXXXX that window came up under account users it says JANE-PC - could this be the problem?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No, that is ok

Can you right click on Excel and select Run As Administrator

Does it then run Jane?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi - I don't have that option as a choice when I right click. Unfortunately, I have to get to work now but I will re-contact you later if that is okay? Thanks, Jane

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thats ok Jane,

When you return, do the following please.

Download CC Cleaner (free) from here

CC Cleaner

(Click Download Latest Version on the top right)

Run it and let it scan and repair your registry.

Once done, restart the computer

Than

Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator.

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /f

Press enter.

It will complain the Volume is in use and to run on restart. Say YES and restart the computer

Than test and Let me know the results please

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello again! Something is going on with my computer and it's not just this issue. I can't even uninstall MS Office - it says I do not have sufficient access to uninstall & that I should contact the admin, I did follow your plan - unfortunately it didn't make a difference. I do have Carbonite for my backup system. I'm thinking that I should uninstall and then re-install Windows 7 ??? It seems as though the problem is not just with Office. I have a couple of games that I've played in the past and I can no longer access them. The message is something along these lines: you need permission to perform this action or you require permission from Jane-PC\Jane to make changes to this file. Try again or cancel - of course trying again doesn't work, What baffles me is that it's just some programs. But aside from uninstall Office - I can't even open it. This started about 1 month ago - but it seems to be getting worse. Any other ideas? If you can't get back to me until tomorrow - that's fine. Thanks, Jane

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Try a different user account Jane.

Click Start, Control Panel, User Accounts.

Make a new user account and add it to the Admin group.

Restart the computer and then log in with this new account.

Let me know the results please

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My you're up early too! Created new profile with admin rights - Ellen. Signed off/on - clicked Ellen and this is the message: The User Profile Service -service failed log onl User Profile cannot be loaded. What I don't understand is that sometimes I do have admin rights for stuff and other times I don't! Thanks again, Jane

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I am :)

It is windows that is completely corrupted and we are going to need to reinstall this Jane.

Are you able to do this? If you do not know how, tell me which brand your computer is please.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've been afraid that this was the direction we were headed in! My computer is an HP Compaq Presario. Model CQ60-615DX. I purchased it from a local Best Buy in May 2010, They don'y give out discs with computers any longer. The MS Windows tag on the bottom with #'s has worn off so it can't be read. I emailed HP to see if they could supply it and was told no. I intend to go to Best Buy today - to see if I can get it from them. I thought that I could do a new download from MS if I had those numbers. I use Windows 7 Home Ed. 64 bit. (I would need to do a back up first on some items that I want-).I don't really feel confident enough to do this procedure, so I'll have to take the computer somewhere to have this done. I can't thank you enough for your ideas and help. Jane

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
The recovery disks are actually on the Computer unless you deleted them.

Can you follow the instructions here please to run the recover.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c01867418

Let me know if you have any difficulties please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok thanks. I can see this will take me a while so I will get back to you as soon as I can but forewarning! - it may not be until tomorrow or so. I printed the pages and will read them and also watch the video that they supply. Have to get ready for work. Jane

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Jane,

Follow the instructions, and if you have any difficulties at all, let me know please.

Thanks

Richard.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi - Thanks for the contact. I 'm still in the process of doing everything. Between backing up and recovery - which is all new to me - and in between work etc., I'm not getting this done very fast. I know I'll need more time - I'll strive to be done mid-week. Sat. I just got my recovery discs from HP. I'll keep you posted and certainly will contact you for questions. The link to the HP windows article is very helpful. Take care, Jane (If you need me to rate you now, I'll be happy to do so - just let me know. Thanks, Jane

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No problem Jane!

And we should wait until we have finished this before doing the rating :)

Thanks

Richie

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi - just to give you an update. I do believe that I get everything backed up. Then I used the recovery disks that HP sent me - and followed all of the instructions. Here's what happened: The message from "recovery mgr." was "not enough free space. Please insert a USB hard drive with at least 2 mb of free space and then click ok. So I went and got a USB for that at Office depot. (I showed them the message so I'd get the right thing!) Inserted the USB computer did it's thing and then the message became "recovery failed". (No specific reason) SO it asked if I'd like to try again (not really) - but I toughed it out and started over. I finally got to the point of restoring files to the hard drive - went to bed and this AM it is frozen at 19%. Needless to say ctrl alt delete doesn't work. So I've unplugged the machine and I'm waiting. Any ideas or thoughts on this? HP says that if I ship it to them they will do the restore for free and should take 2 days (of course I pay the postage both ways!) ????? Jane

I just completely re-ran the disks and I finally got everything to work - thanks again for your help RichieMe!