Specialist Sean S.
Specialist Sean S., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  5+ years IT experience. A+, Net+, Security+ certified
72740154

I have an HP Envy m6 Entertainment PC that is not responding

Customer Question

I have an HP Envy m6 Entertainment PC that is not responding to almost anything. Unable to get "Start" screen to come up, can't connect to internet. Fingerprint scanner does not recognize my fingerprint. Basicly un-responsive to anything. I'm asking this question on my desktop machine because I can't get anywhere with the laptop.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  dresteve2000 replied 4 years ago.

dresteve2000 :

Hi

dresteve2000 :

I am here to help you with this issue.

dresteve2000 :

On that laptop, please power it completely off, then power it on and press the F8 key as soon as the laptop has powered on over and over again. (Press the F8 key again and again as soon as you press the power button)

dresteve2000 :

You should get a menu you start the computer in safe mode.

dresteve2000 :

Please start in Safe Mode

dresteve2000 :

Once the laptop goes into windows, please go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > then click System Restore

dresteve2000 :

In the system restore, follow the instructions and restore the computer to atleast one day prior to it working correct (if it worked on Monday, restore it to Sunday) etc...

dresteve2000 :

When the computer powers on again, please check to see if it restored functionality.

JACUSTOMER-zvm9kdqj- :

It is not responding to ANYTHING. Can't get in to Windows, the Internet, etc.

dresteve2000 :

Have you tried to go into Safe Mode yet?

JACUSTOMER-zvm9kdqj- :

How do I do that?

dresteve2000 :

Please start in Safe Mode

dresteve2000 :

Once the laptop goes into windows (Safe Mode), please go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > then click System Restore

When the computer powers on again (after it reboots), please check to see if it restored functionality.

JACUSTOMER-zvm9kdqj- :

It has just rebooted and is in the same condition. No response.

dresteve2000 :

did you do the System Restore as well?

JACUSTOMER-zvm9kdqj- :

it won't let me do that. Do you know that I'm corresponding with you on my desktop?

dresteve2000 :

Yes, I read that in your question here

dresteve2000 :

One more question, were you able to select Safe Mode from the list?

JACUSTOMER-zvm9kdqj- :

Wasn't sure if you knew that.

JACUSTOMER-zvm9kdqj- :

no

dresteve2000 :

So what happened when you powered on the laptop and pressed F8 over and over?

dresteve2000 :

You have to power the laptop off, press the power button, and as soon as you press it, begin to press the F8 key until you see an advanced menu with the option for Safe Mode

JACUSTOMER-zvm9kdqj- :

nothing

JACUSTOMER-zvm9kdqj- :

I'll do that right now...thanks

JACUSTOMER-zvm9kdqj- :

nothing

dresteve2000 :

Ok, I'm not sure whats going on with your laptop so I will have to opt out and allow another tech to jump in.

dresteve2000 :

Thank you for your time.

Expert:  Specialist Sean S. replied 4 years ago.

My name is Sean

Do you have a Windows Vista or 7 disc available. This will help with the repair process?

Also, how old is your computer that's having the issue?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm not ignoring you;; was trying the "F8" thing. Computer is less than a week old.

I didn't think you were ignoring me. Anyways, you're the customer, so I'm working with whatever time frame works best for you. Do you have a Microsoft Vista or Windows 7 disc available? This will help with the repair process