Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  I can help you repair almost any Laptop issue.

Hi I have sony vaio pcg-61611l. It will not start/boot. I get

Hi I have sony vaio pcg-61611l. It will not start/boot. I get a power light and fan but no display. I read a similar question and removed and cleaned my ran chips but I am getting the same response. please help
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer.com

My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am here to help!

Question.. Do you happen to have an external monitor, such as for a desktop computer that we could test with?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No sorry but I have been having this issue lately and I have gotten it to start up before

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
My apologies for the delay .. i just seen your message Josh.

Lets try two different test steps.

Try to start the computer with no battery, and just the power cord.

If that doesnt work, try to start it with no power cord, and just the battery.

Will either step help?

Also.. Try wiggling the screen a little bit when you start it,, that may help show something on the screen.

Let me know if any of this shows us any different results..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No different results however sometimes when I leave the laptop on for 5-10 mins, shut it off and turn it back on it will boot normally.

Also when it is not booting or starting there are no lights to indicate it is running or loading windows. There is only the green power light and the fan.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
The next time you get this computer booted up Josh.

We need to try and update the bios.. Because everything your describing sounds like a BIOS issue. ( the bios, basically runs the motherboard and tells it how to turn on the screen, start, etc )

So i can get you t he correct bios.. I need you to look on the bottom of the laptop, and find the model tag.
Near where it says

pcg-61611l

You should see something like VPCEEE31fx

. I need that second code, as it identifies the exact model of vaio, and motherboard you have.

Thanks,

And Merry Christmas!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Here are the numbers on the back of the laptop:

Near the model number:

FCC ID: PPD-AR5B95

IC: 4104A-AR5B95

US Listed I.T.E. 8k33 Ek142692

Product Key: Q7PCP-PBXGH-WJH3T-JYQJX-9CCYM

X16-96072

00196-142-171-682

SERVICE TAG: C10596YJ

Let me know if thatswhat you need Merry Christmas to you too

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Im sorry to ask again.. But can you click this link.. and try to find the extended model number Josh..

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/support-info.pl?info_id=264
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

VPCEE42FX

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Thats the one!

Ok, here is the bios update ive been wanting to try and install.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=VPCEE42FX&upd_id=7545&os_group_id=6

Lets download it.. Then shut down any and all programs.. Remove any USB devices, make sure the computer is charged up , and then.. Install this update.

Once installed, it should help the computer start normally.. Let me know if you run into any issues.

I strive to provide great service. Please remember to click one of the rating icons below and submit it when you are satisfied. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S. Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.
Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience: I can help you repair almost any Laptop issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok I have to get my laptop on again. I'll let you know how it goes. Thank you

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome Josh.. Look forward to hearing from you.

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Dustin did the bios update but when I shut down my computer afterward I'm still having the same issue with start up. When I was able to get it started again to do the download there was allot of red backlight bleeding through everything?
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Just seen your reply Josh. In your last reply you said ""When I was able to get it started again to do the download ""

So far, have we only downloaded the bios update?

Or.. after downloading it.. Did you then open the update, and then run it to install the update? ( it would have shown a message on screen saying it was installing it )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Got it to boot after several tries, then downloaded. Opened the file that was on my desktop and ran the bios update. Should I run it again?

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Not at all.. If the bios update did run, and try to install..

Then we should be covered on that area.. Early on, you said you had removed the small rectangle panel / chip for the power and had cleaned it.

When you removed it.. Did any of the transistors on the chip look burnt, swollen, mishapen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No they were fairly dirty but everything looked to be in good shape.