Erik B.
Erik B., Support Specialist
Experience:  10+ years diagnosing and repairing laptops.

My computer is saying "Reboot and select proper boot device

My computer is saying "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key" When I press any key it just repeats the message
Hello and thanks for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be happy to assist you with this.

Do you have anything plugged into your laptop right now except for the power cord? Do you have a disk in the CD/DVD drive?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
nothing is plugged into the laptop. The disk in the drive is the Microsoft Home office disk
OK go ahead and remove the disk, just to make sure that isn't the problem. After removing the disk please try powering on the laptop. Any change or the same error message?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have removed the disk. Now I am waiting the the laptop to power on.......still has no gone back to giving me the same "reboot and Select proper boot device message
OK let's just wait a few more minutes and see what happens. Let me know if it just stays at a blank screen.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The screen is black with that message at the top of the screen in white letters. No change
Oh I apologize I thought you meant the message had not come back. Sorry about that. Go ahead and do this for me:

1. Turn the laptop back off.
  2. Remove the AC adapter.
  3. Flip the laptop over and remove the battery.
  4. Let the unit sit like that for two full minutes.
  5. Plug the AC adapter back in (do NOT insert the battery).
  6. Turn the laptop on. Does the message reappear or does it boot properly?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok doing it is giving me the option to start windows normally or in safe mode
OK please choose Normal Mode and let's see what happens. Hopefully it will boot up normally (sounds like we may have just gotten stuck in Hibernate).
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, choose normal it is giving me the choice of "launch startup repair" or "start windows normally"
OK choose Startup Repair. The startup files may have been damaged.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, I choose start up repair. It scanned for a while then said "if scans we succesful windows will start automatically. If not____? I missed that message. Now it is trying to restart.
OK hopefully the automatic repair fixed it. Let me know if it asks you to run Startup Repair again.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It has now gone back to the same black screen with the "Repoot and Select proper Boot device" message
OK sounds like we might have a hard drive issue in that case. Please turn off the laptop and remove the AC adapter for two full minutes again. Then plug it back in and turn the laptop one. As soon as the vendor logo disappears start tapping the F8 key repeatedly. If done correctly you will see the Safe Mode menu. Please highlight Repair my computer and hit Enter. Let me know when you are there.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, I am there
Great do you see a choice for System Restore?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

says,to acces recovery options, log on a s alocal user.

To access the command promt as well, log on using an administrator account.

OK go ahead and login as yourself (you should have administrator rights). Then you should see the system restore option...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I clicked on system restore and am following the instructions and clicking next
Excellent, just pick a date before this problem started happening. Keep me posted!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I picked a date now I am waiting for the system to restore
Great, this will usually take about 10 minutes.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
can we keep in contact until I see what happens.
Absolutely just leave this window open. I am not going anywhere!

If you do lose connection with me for any reason, just come back to and click on My Questions to get back to me.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It say " system restore did not complete successfully. Your computer files and settings were not changed

An unspecified error occurred during System Restore. (0x800700b7)

That is too bad. If you would like you can try a different System Restore point, but I have a feeling we are probably dealing with some bad hardware here. Can you give me the make and model of the laptop?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It is an ASUS model U46E. I am trying a different restore point date

OK if the different restore point returns the same error, please let me know if the Asus is over 12 months old. Thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It says system restored successfull after I tried a different date. Then it tried to restart and went back to the "Reboot and Select proper Boot device message"

I bought it last summer from Best Buy but I do not have the exact date. It might be under a year old.

Yes definitely sounds like a failing hard drive in that case. OK if the unit is under 12 months from the date of purchase then the repair should be covered under warranty. You can find a service center by using the search functions on this page:

That is probably the best option at this point. I can also tell you how to replace the hard drive yourself if you prefer. Let me know!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I would rather not replace the hard drive myself. I would rather take it to a service center. Thank you for your help
No problem. If you need anything else please let me know.

Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service today by clicking the appropriate smiley face. Thank you so much!