Freddy M.
Freddy M., Computer Support
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

my laptop turns on but then says " A disk read error occured

Customer Question

my laptop turns on but then says " A disk read error occured press CTRL + ALT + DEL to restart" - Can you please help me?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
Does it say anything else at all when this happens? What version of windows is on it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No that's the only thing it says I'm on Windows 7
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
Ok restart the computer and continuously tap F8 as it is starting up it should bring you to a menu. From that menu choose safe mode. it will look different that is normal. Can you log in using safe mode or do you get the same error?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When I restart it brings me to page which says ACER then at the bottom it says press F2 for setup but when I keep pressing F8 it starts beeping really loud
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately that's not a good sign. What model computer is it? Do you have a windows recovery disc?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's an ACER laptop - ASPIRE5253G - I don't have a windows recovery disc
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
Ok I believe that machine has a hidden recovery partition we can use. This will however reinstall the operating system completely which will erase anything on the drive. Unfortunately normally without a disk we can not run a repair installation. Please let me know if you would like to do this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes please
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
Ok turn the machine off and then turn it back on. When you see the Acer screen hold down Alt and while holding it down tap F10. If you have a recovery partition the Acer eRecovery screen will come up. When it does let me know what you see.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
now nothing is coming up
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
what happened when you tried that?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I turned the laptop on then I pressed Alt when the acer screen came up and tapped on the F10 and now it's just black screen nothing showing I turned it off again and tried again am left with the same black screen
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
Ok please press alt and F10 at the same time when the acer logo comes up.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it just keeps beeping for a long time and now it's stopped beeping but nothing shows not even that error message
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
I was afraid that may happen, do you know anyone with a windows 7 disc?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no but i can go and get one tomorrow morning why do i do with it
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
They can be expensive usually around $300 it's actually cheaper to bring it to a technician. You would need to run the windows disc on the computer and when it says press any key to boot from disc press the space bar. Then when the disc loads choose the option to do a repair installation. After it finishes you would restart normally and check to see if you get the same error. If you do you would then try a complete re-installation of windows 7 which would require the serial number. When that does not work this error indicates the hard drive itself has failed and needs to be replaced. The disc itself can cost around $300 but to have a technician fix this will normally cost between $150 and $200. Please let me know if you need any clarification on any of these or if you have any more questions about this problem and I will be happy to answer them.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
If you do not need any clarification or do not have any other questions about this please do not forget to leave a positive rating as that is how this site credits me for my time. Also please remember you are rating me and not the machine or the issue of it possibly needing a new part.