aitizaz
aitizaz, Software Engineer
Experience:  Vast exp. of troubleshooting laptop issues
17531195

My screen flickers, then goes black. I close the top, wait

My screen flickers, then goes black. I close the top, wait a few seconds, open it and it comes back on. Any ideas?

aitizaz :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer! I am Aitizaz and i will be happy to help you.

aitizaz :

when did this happen for the first time? did you change the resolution of the screen after which this occured?

Customer:

First time was last Thursday. Happened multiple times. Had been having issues with McAfee antivirus software. I uninstalled old version then reinstalled Friday night. Screen flickered a few times yesterday but did not go black again until today.

aitizaz :

These are the signs of inverter board malfunction.

aitizaz :

inverter board is the component that lit your LCD screen.

aitizaz :

if we remove that component, you almost lose visual appearance on the LCD screen.

aitizaz :

but to re-confirm that your graphic card is in good shape, connect your laptop with an external monitor and see if the same occurs there or not.

aitizaz :

if the output is fine on the external monitor, you need to replace your inverter board.

aitizaz :

is the computer under warranty?

Customer:

no

aitizaz :

please first check the computer by connecting it to external monitor and if you do not get this problem on the external monitor, replace the inverter board. You can take the computer to your nearest hardware repair store for this purpose

aitizaz :

if you have any question,please do not hesitate to ask me

Customer:

ok, thanks