Viet - Laptop Tech
Viet - Laptop Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of laptop (and desktop) hardware and software support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac.
30037186

hard disk test SMART Check: PASSED Short DST : FAILED FAILURE

Customer Question

hard disk test
SMART Check: PASSED
Short DST : FAILED
FAILURE ID : RSN6LF-563659-XD003G-60SG03
PRODUCT ID : WQ676UA#ABA

Hard d
Disk 1

Hard disk Test : FAILED

Does this mean the hard drive is no good and needs replaced?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Viet - Laptop Tech replied 4 years ago.

Yes, unfortunately, this means the hard disk has failed. If the computer is under warranty, then you can contact HP. Otherwise, you can get a new hard drive from your local computer store (about $40), then use the windows / recovery disk to install windows.

If you do not have the windows / recovery disk, please let me know the exact model of your hp computer and if it has windows xp, vista, or 7. Also, when you have a new hard drive, you can always get back to me via this web page if there is any issue in setting up the new hard drive.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to click either "Helped a little" or "I expected more", please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Thank you,
-Viet
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do not have a windows 7 recovery disk.
I have a dv6-3040us Entertainment Notebook.
Do I just take out the old hard drive and than put in the new one?
You can get the recovery disk from HP website:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=4230524#N746
; click on "Order Recovery Media - CD/DVD/USB (‏1)" near the middle of the page.

Yes, you just turn off the computer, then take out the old hard drive, then replace with the new one.

Thank you,