Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Laptop repair specialist
46034742

how do i delete all unwanted files from my laptop?

Category: Laptop
Expert:  Charles A. Roberts replied 2 years ago.

lexx3218 :

Anything in particular you want to delete?

Customer:

i feel i have so much unwanted files in my computer

Customer:

i think is better i clean it

lexx3218 :

What is the make and model of this machine?

Customer:

acer

lexx3218 :

Ok well there are many different ways you can put it through a factory reset or go through and clean the machine out a bit.

Starting with programs you don't use are you using windows 7 by chance?

lexx3218 :
Customer:

yes

lexx3218 :

Ok click on start then control panel then click on uninstall programs.

Customer:

ok

lexx3218 :

A list would appear and go through that list to see if there are games or anything you don't want.

lexx3218 :

When you high light on 1 go to the top and choose uninstall.

lexx3218 :

Once you have uninstalled everything you don't want I would suggest going through your documents and music and picture files picking out what you don't want in there,

lexx3218 :

Now tell me has your machine been going slower?

Customer:

it is

Customer:

that is the reason i suggested to clean it up

lexx3218 :

Ok once you have went through all of that go to start then all programs then accessories and then system toold. Once there locate disk cleanup.

lexx3218 :

When it opens click ok

lexx3218 :

It's going to start scanning to see what it needs to cleanup.

Customer:

ok

lexx3218 :

Now before doing anything click on cleanup system files.

lexx3218 :

It will ask you to click ok again for the C drive.

lexx3218 :

This time when it comes up again make sure there is a check mark in each box.

lexx3218 :

You may have to scroll through a little but then click ok again and it will clean the junk off of your machine that it no longer uses.

lexx3218 :

A warning it will go slower at first. The next step is a disk defragmentor

lexx3218 :

Go back into system tools like before accept instead of disk cleanup click on disk defragmentor.

lexx3218 :

Once there make sure you click on the C drive and its highlighted and click on degragment

That will speed things up again.

lexx3218 :

A possible memory upgrade eventually would not hurt either.

lexx3218 :

Again a disk cleanup will make it go slower until the disk defragment is complete.

lexx3218 :

Do you have any other questions for me?

Customer:

no.thank you so much for the help

Customer:

i am gonna have to follow your instructions carefully

lexx3218 :

No problem again if and when you can a memory upgrade would improve a lot.

lexx3218 :

As well

lexx3218 :

Well, My name isXXXXX and I want to thank you for using justanswer.com to help you find a solution to the issue you are having. Please remember to click ACCEPT because that is the ONLY way I am compensated for helping you. A bonus, and positive feedback, is greatly appreciated as well. Thank you!

Customer:

thank you

lexx3218 :

You are welcome

Charles A. Roberts, Computer Enthusiast
Experience: Laptop repair specialist