eyecue
eyecue, Computer Repair tech
Experience:  In home laptop technician
669790

Toshiba Technical Support……I have a TOSHIBA L675D-S7049

Toshiba Technical Support……

I have a TOSHIBA L675D-S7049 Laptop…that I unfortunately loaned to my grandson for the last semester….apparently he lost the powers source and purchased what he figured was a replacement…..19.5 Volt 46 watt output…

This figures to be in the area of 2.35amps output to run the c omputer and charge the battery if left long enough to recover from the actual load excess that the computer can create with protected use of external USB powered devices and the DVD drive as only a youngster can achieve…….

In any event he subsequently ran that battery dead (I mean DEAD) or dry in the NICAD materials internally….IT STOPPED CHARGING and he purchased another Nicad 10.5 volt 4800 battery as a replacement….Upon installing it he found it WOULD NOT CHARGE….

I assumed it was insufficient power bsupply and bought him a 19.5 Volt 120Watt
Version I was sure would charge band/or run the Laptop…..it too refuses to charge
I noted that the last update from Toshiba has a BIO’s change that relates to this problem…however the Laptop will not run or boot from the new battery even with the 120 watt power source connected….the white power light is on and the battery light is steady orange….

Is there a work around here?…in desperation I found the original battery and split it open…charged it up from an outside adjustable power source and the LAPTOP DOES WORK WITH THE 120WATT POWER SUPPLY AND THE EXTERNALLY CHARGED BATTERY….but the machine indicates (Zero Battery and no charging)….

Thank you for your time…Richard Buggs (XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX)
Category: Laptop
Expert:  tbe179 replied 2 years ago.

Thomas :

welcome

Customer:

yes go ahead

Thomas :

If you using a replacement battery, make sure it is an original Toshiba battery. It is known that certain replacement batteries from China are not working

Customer:

ok..now what?

Customer:

ok..now what

Customer:

look fella...you don't seem to have a clue either...battery is right now vwhat

Thomas :

Are you sure the battery is genuine Toshiba?

Thomas :

In this case you should call the dealer and have it replaced

Customer:

look fella ..yes lets get bnoff that?

Customer:

you must think I am stupid....

Thomas :

no

Customer:

it has to do with the charging....the latest BIOS UPDATE CURES THE PROBLEM...but I will not flash a bios without the machine running on the power supply...and it won't unless I can insure that ops are coirrct

Customer:

never mind it appears you are lost with toshiba...they are different..........bye.......not accepted

Expert:  eyecue replied 2 years ago.
Maybe I am missing something here but I do a lot of work on Toshiba and you stated that you took the old battery apart and charged it and it works. So can you use that and update the bios? If you cannot, then the only option is to have it repaired by Toshiba. I am sorry.

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not the point....BIOS FLASH tells us we need AC plugged in (Apparently to forestall a power failure during FLASH process on Toshiba sk3jv1.70 BIOS update that cures this very problem....except I have ver 1.30 BIOS now and no way to update as long as that switch is active...It must have AC thru to the battery to allow FLASH UPDATE...it has AC input as it won't run without both AC in and Battery (Maybe the CMOS 3.70 volts it needs and not the 10.5 main system source it's looking at (That may be provided by the plug in power source as opposed to the battery hack...

In any event I need to get by that lockout so my BIOS will flash....Windows 7 64 bit home runs correctly no troubles I can find....just need to get new BIOS installed to cure this discharge lockout...
Expert:  eyecue replied 2 years ago.
I remember those cases now. The only way around it is to send it in. I am sorry.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
bah...Toshiba has poor depot response...usually done for them by some non careing UPS tech in Louisville
Expert:  eyecue replied 2 years ago.
Unless you have a EEPROM burner and can re flash that chip there is no other option. Sorry about your mis fortunate experience, I believe that model had a tech advisal out for that very thing and if it was under warranty they would handle it free.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have several eeprom burners and they will n ot honor any warranty as it is a ":Software Problem"
Expert:  eyecue replied 2 years ago.
If you have the burner then you are now up against the proprietary factors that are present in the CMOS design, implementation and operation. You could order just the chip preloaded with the proper flash and install it yourself. Other than that you have to cut your losses and move on. I have seen issues with BIOS programming get the low end of the stick when it comes to service before many times. I am sorry.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
are you aware we are talking about a laptop?....chip is soldered in....
Expert:  eyecue replied 2 years ago.

I am aware of that. The chip is here: http://www.motherboardcentral.info/bios-chip-toshiba/

and if you can perform SMT soldering you can change it out.

eyecue, Computer Repair tech
Experience: In home laptop technician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
To bad someone didn't come up with this solution before...the Toshiba folks are very short on help like any sources for components....this will fill the bill...