Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Laptop repair specialist

The cursor is frozen on laptop. How do I fix it?

The cursor is frozen on laptop. How do I fix it? It's actually Windows Vista.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Charles A. Roberts replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX if you turn the computer off and then back on does the pointer just sit there in the same place verytime.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes. It will not move.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Correct. It will not move. ,

Yes. It will not move.

Ok and this is a laptop and know matter how much you move your fingure on the touch pad it's not responding correct? how old is this laptop if you don't mind me asking also when did this start.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Started this afternoon. Laptop is about 5 years old.

I see may I ask as a test when connect an external mouse does the mouse pointer move?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have not tried that. I've never used an external mouse with it.

If you can would you connect an external mouse to see if the pointer moves. If it does I know what the problem is.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, It does work with the external mouse.

If that is the case I want to try one more thing to make sure before I answer this. Can you go into the device manager by chance?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'll have to switch out the mouse again, but yes. Stand by.

Ok no problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

okay. I'm in device manager.

Click on the one that says mice and other pointing devices and tell me what it has in there please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay. Switching out mouse again..

Ok no problem.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Has three different one listed. ALPS, HID compliant, and one other.
Ok right click on ALPA then click on uninstall. Then restart that machine and see if it reinstalls the touch pad if it works and the touch pad still fails to respond that would mean the touch pad is bad and the heat sensor has failed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That most be the case because it is clearly not working. I'll just go get an extra mouse for it.
Ok you can do that you can also get that replaced but your would need to take the machine in and have a new touchpad installed into it. Let me know please if you have any other questions at all. Please have a good day ok.

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
My name isXXXXX and I want to thank you for using justanswer.com to help you find a solution to the issue you are having. Please remember to click ACCEPT because that is the ONLY way I am compensated for helping you. A bonus, and positive feedback, is greatly appreciated as well. Thank you!

Charles A. Roberts, Computer Enthusiast
Experience: Laptop repair specialist