Viet - Laptop Tech
Viet - Laptop Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of laptop (and desktop) hardware and software support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac.
30037186

My samsung laptop is not charging. The charger light is on

My samsung laptop is not charging. The charger light is on but it's not charging the laptop. What's wrong and how can I fix it?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Viet - Laptop Tech replied 4 years ago.

If you turn on the laptop with only the charger connected (no battery), does it work?

Is there any light? is there any noise when turning on the laptop?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No it doesn't work. There's no light or noise from the laptop. The only light that is seen is the one on the block part of the charger, where there's a small green light. Thank you
Sorry, it looks like the laptop hardware (motherboard) is completely dead as there is no light or noise on the laptop, but can you try this: press & release quickly and repeated the power button for about 15 times and check.

How old is the laptop? Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If the motherboard is dead what does that mean I should do? Sorry I don't know much about laptops. Does that mean I can't use it ever again? Also I've got a lot of work on it that I haven't backed up, can I not retrieve them in any way? The laptop is only just 2 years old.
Sorry, it means the motherboard (mainboard/systemboard) part needs to be replaced; you can check your local computer shop/repair and/or contact Samsung:
Samsung contact:
0330 SAMSUNG (7267864)
Monday - Saturday: 9am - 6pm
Email: http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/erms1

But you can retrieve your files on your own: you can take out the hard drive from the laptop (usually remove some screws at the bottom of the laptop to remove a cover). Then get a USB external hard drive enclosure/adapter (for about 20 pounds or so from your local computer store). Then you would install the hard drive to the new enclosure/adapter, then plug it into a working computer, then you can get your files out.

Thank you.