yegarboy
yegarboy, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Laptop Re-builder

The caps lock key wont work on my asus laptop. How can I

Customer Question

The caps lock key won't work on my asus laptop. How can I get it to work?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Hi, and thanks for using JustAnswer, I'll be assisting you with your issue today.

Click the Windows Start button > Control Panel > Click Change Keyboard and other Input method > Click the Keyboard and Languages tab

Then click the Change Keyboard button > Click the General tab and make sure your keyboard is set to English

If it isn't an English keyboard, click the Add button and add an English keyboard layout > Click Apply then ok.

If that doesn't work, please post back and let me know first, thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My keyboard was already set to English; followed your suggestion above, still not working. Do you have any other suggestions?

Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Absolutely, please take these further steps:

To make sure you can return to me, please favorite or bookmark this page, alternatively you can go to www.justanswer.com and click my questions in the top right.

Now, click the Windows Start button > In the box type devmgmt.msc and press enter > Double click Keyboards

Right click the keyboard listed there and select Uninstall > Restart Windows and it will be reinstalled automatically, then test the caps lock.

---

If it still gives issue, click the Windows Start button > Type osk.exe in the search box and press enter > Try toggling the caps lock from the on screen keyboard, does it work on the computer? We'll need to rule out if this is a hardware issue and then we'll take further steps from there, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It works now from the onscreen keyboard. In order for me to turn off the caps lock, I have do press the caps lock on the actual keyboard.
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
I see, so the actual key on the caps lock works, but only to turn off the caps lock, is that correct?

How long ago did this first start happening?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What I meant was, the caps lock worked only on the onscreen keyboard. However, I can't turn off caps lock from the onscreen keyboard, so I had to turn it off from the actual keyboard.
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
This is strange and may be a registry issue on the computer, if the caps lock on the actual keyboard works to only turn off caps lock (but not turn it on), then it doesn't appear to be any hardware failure.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I only noticed it now. My husband has had this laptop for about 2 years, but I started using this more only in the last 12 months, and have never been able to use the caps lock key.

Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
I apologize but for now I need to opt out and open your question to all experts again. They will see anything we have discussed so far and you will receive an email when another expert posts to this page. Thank you for your patience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That's okay; I'll sign out now and wait for my email.

Thanks,

D. Brisco

Expert:  yegarboy replied 2 years ago.
Hey there, Give this a shot for me please.

Click Start > Control Panel > Device Manager. Inside Device Manager scroll down the list to Keyboards. Expand the Keyboard list by double clicking it, and right click the Keyboard listed under Keyboards. Choose Uninstall and restart the pc.

If the Caps lock still doesn't work the keyboard has failed and will need replaced. Hope this helps :)