The A+ PCTech
The A+ PCTech, PC Specialist
Experience:  CompTIA A+ Certified IT Technician,

I connected my Toshiba Satellite (A505-S6005) to my HDTV (Samsung)

Customer Question

I connected my Toshiba Satellite (A505-S6005) to my HDTV (Samsung) with an HDMI cable. When I push SOURCE, the TV screen shows "Toshiba PC" on the screen but then shows "device is not connected, please check connection".

The connection seems good because the TV recognizes the device by brand and this is the first time I have connected the two.

What do I need to do to have the TV recognize the computer?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  The A+ PCTech replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I'm Ron. Can you right click your mouse on your desktop and select screen resolution. You should see a representation of both your display and the T.V. Does your computer show both display choices? If it does, you can either select one of the display choices or use one of the multiple display selections to use both at the same time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When I right click on screen resolution I see two displays. One is display multiple monitors and two is display device on: VGA
Select display multiple monitors and you should see the screen displayed on both. It should allow a selection to extend or duplicate. I use extend, that will let you use each separate instead of just a copy of what is on the first,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I selected multiple and then extend. I tried the source button then but still got a message that the device is not connected.
While you are on that screen, disconnect the HDMI cable and reconnect while the T.V. is on and see if the laptop recognizes the T.V. and let me know if there is any change. If there is no change, go to this Toshiba site and download and install the HDMI manager located on page three of the downloads listed for your laptop. http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?ct=DL&os=&category=&moid=2515202&rpn=PSAT6U&modelFilter=A505-S6005&selCategory=2756709&selFamily=1073768663 .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well, my desktop has shrunk. While I wa on screen resolution, display offered mobile PC device or Samsung or display device on VGA, so I selected Samsung as my display. This still shows as not connected. When I disconnected the cable and then replug it in, I get a blank screen on the laptop and then the desktop wallpaper comes up but without any icons.
That wallpaper without the icons is the correct screen for the laptop at first and the t.v. should have the same but with the icons there instead. If your laptop has switched the screen at that point, the only thing that is stopping you from seeing the desktop on the t.v. is the HDMI itself. There is an application called the HDMI Control Manager that you should have installed on the laptop already, but if you can not find it or you need to install it go to that Toshiba site and download it from page 3 of the downloads. It should allow a direct connection test of the HDMI.
Here is part of your owners manual that states in order to use the HDMI you may need to activate it...It also tells you what page in the manual to look at (p152)

Connecting to a TV using HDMI™-CEC
(Available on certain models)
HDMI™-CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) is a standard in the
CE Industry which allows devices to work together over an HDMI
cable. Toshiba computers with HDMI-CEC include a Toshiba
utility (that may need to be installed via the Toshiba Application
Installer). To access the TOSHIBA Application Installer, see page
152. The HDMI-CEC utility is dedicated to take advantage of its
capabilities which can allow you to:
❖ Use a TV remote control to output the computer screen onto
the TV screen.
RGB (Monitor) port
*Available on certain models
HDMI™ Out port*
Getting Started 79
Using external display devices
❖ Use a TV remote control to launch, operate and close
applications on your computer.
❖ Turn on the TV when the HDMI output is selected using the
Fn+F5 key.
❖ Switch the video output (HDMI or LCD) when executing
certain desktop icons.
❖ Enable/Disable the HDMI-CEC function on the computer.
For more detailed HDMI-CEC information visit
pcsupport.toshiba.com.
Connecting an external monitor or projector
You can easily attach an external monitor or projector to your
computer if you need a larger screen. To do this:
1 Read the directions that came with the monitor to see if you
first need to install new software.
2 Connect the monitor’s video cable to the RGB (monitor) port
on the side of the computer.
3 Connect the device’s power cable to a live electrical outlet.
4 Turn on the external device.
Your computer will automatically detect the external display
device.
In the future you can change the display settings by pressing Fn+F5,
or by configuring the display properties settings.
Directing the display output when you turn on the computer
Once you have connected an external display device, you can
choose to use the internal display only, the external device only, or
both simultaneously.
Some modes are only available with the appropriate device attached
and turned on.
The quickest
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, I am now able to see my PC screen on the TV. Thank you.
You are very welcome. Please accept so that I am compensated and positive feedback is always appreciated, Ron
The A+ PCTech, PC Specialist
Experience: CompTIA A+ Certified IT Technician,
It was my pleasure solving your problem. Please remember to return and finish the process by accepting and leaving feedback. I look forward to helping you again, Ron.
I noticed that our system sent my automated follow up message. Please disregard as you certainly did finish the process. Again thank you very much and I hope to be of assistance in the future, Ron.