gurltech21
gurltech21, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I'm experienced in replacing laptop screens, hard drives, and troubleshooting wi-fi issues.
65839687

How do I update my blackberry from my laptop?

gurltech21 :

Hi there! Downloading the blackberry software from the website is the right place to start, but to do the updates, you will have to return to the Blackberry update website, and then click check for updates.

gurltech21 :

This is the blackberry update website:http://us.blackberry.com/update/? When you get there, go to the section that says Other BlackBerry Smart Phone Users. Click on check for updates.

gurltech21 :

When you click on that, if you haven't already, it'll ask you to install some stuff and then restart your computer. After you restart. Go back to the black berry website and click on check for updates again. http://us.blackberry.com/update/? Make sure your phone is plugged in :)

gurltech21 :

From there, you should be able to get the updates installed. Blackberry also wrote a very good article on this if my instructions were not clear enough. Blackberry documentation: http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB16068

gurltech21 :

Let me know if you have any other questions or issues!

Customer:

Thank you for your answer.

Customer:

Actually I was looking for a more specific information on how to update my Blackberry address book using my Laptop, also I would like to have the addressbook saves and syncronized on my laptop.

Customer:

Could you help me wit more specific information?

Customer:

Thank you very much

Customer:

Paolo

gurltech21 :

Okay. Thanks for that info. Give me a brief moment or two, and I'll be back with you.

gurltech21 :

What version of the device manager software do you have? Is it 5.0?

gurltech21 :

Ok. The version doesn't really matter. You cannot edit contacts directly by using the Blackberry Device manager. The only other way to edit and contacts is to sync it with Microsoft Outlook. Do you have microsoft Outlook installed on your laptop?

gurltech21 :

Another option:

gurltech21 :

If you use Gmail for your contacts, you could also use gmail to sync your contacts with your blackberry, which maybe more straight forward than attempting to do it with outlook: http://www.google.com/mobile/blackberry/ Then you can use Google to edit and sync your contacts.

Customer:

I am not using Gmail actually and I have to transfer my addresses from an excel sheet where I have saved the addresses from my ol d blackberry

gurltech21 :

Ok. I highly recommend going to gmail to make contact management easier for you in future. In a few moments, I'll tell you step by step how to import your contacts from an excel sheet.

gurltech21 :

To send your contacts to your phone, your excel sheet first needs to be saved as a csv file. So open the excel sheet where your contacts are stored. Then instead of choosing save, select 'Save As' In the save as dialog window, right under 'file name' there is a section called 'save as type.' Click the down arrow next to the 'save as type section' and scroll down the list until you come to CSV (Comma delimited). Save it as the CSV file and remember where your file is save at. That is VERY important.

Customer:

Do I have to prepare the excel in some way (column spaces etc)?

gurltech21 :

Yes you do have the prepare the excel sheet.

gurltech21 :

The instructions for doing it are very detailed. So here's a link to the blackberry documentation on how to set up your excel sheet for exporting. http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB19858 This goes over all the headers and formatting you have to do to so you can export your contacts to CSV.

gurltech21 :

Doing this will be a lot of work. I found some more info that may be helpful. http://newbbie.com/2008/01/19/managing-contacts-in-the-address-book-using-excel/ At the end of this post is list of headers you will have to make in excel to succesfully export it as a CSV file.

gurltech21 :

After creating the CSV file here is how you will import the csv file into your phone. If you have desktop manager 5.0, this is what you will do.

gurltech21 :

1. Connect the BlackBerry smartphone to the computer.

2. Open the BlackBerry® Desktop Manager and click Synchronize.

3. In the Synchronize window, select Synchronization under Configure.

4. On the right pane of the Synchronization configuration menu, click Synchronization.

5. In the Select Device application window, highlight and select the Address Book check box.

6. Click Setup beside Advanced.

7. Select ASCII Importer/Exporter and click Next.

8. Click One way sync to Device and click Next.

9. Click Browse for Database file for ASCII Importer/Exporter connector.

10. In the Database file for ASCII Importer/Exporter connector window, locate the CSV file where the contacts are saved.

11. Select the CSV file and click Open.

12. In the Address Book Setup window, click Next.

13. In the Address Book Setup Finish screen, click Finish.

14. In the Select Device application window, click OK.

15. Click Synchronize above Configure on the left column.

16. On the right pane, click Synchronize. This imports all the contacts from the CSV file to the BlackBerry smartphone.

gurltech21 :

If you use 6.0, follow these instructions instead:

gurltech21 :

2. Open the BlackBerry Desktop Software and choose Organizer.

3. Under Synchronization Settings, click Configure Settings.

4. In the Select Device application display window, highlight and select the Address Book check box.

5. Click Setup next to Advanced...

6. In the Select a desktop application window, highlight ASCII Importer/Exporter and then click Next.

7. Select One way sync to Device and then click Next.

8. In the ASCII Importer/Exporter options for Address Book window, click Browse forDatabase file for ASCII Importer/Exporter connector.

9. In the Database file for ASCII Importer/Exporter connector window, locate the CSV file (in Microsoft® Excel®) where the contacts are saved.

10. Highlight and select the CSV file and click Open.

11. In the ASCII Importer/Exporter options for Address Book window, click Next this time.

12. In the Address Book Setup Finish screen that says Congratulations, click Finish.

13. In the Select Device application window, click OK.

14. Click the "Sync" option located on the bottom right of the BlackBerry Desktop Manager. This imports all the contacts from the CSV file to the BlackBerry smartphone.

gurltech21 :

Let me know if you have any other questions. I hope it all works out for you. :)

Customer:

Thank you very much it looks like what I needed to find.

Customer:

I will let you know if it worked well for me

Customer:

Looking forward to it

Customer:

A presto