ChrisC
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  15 years as a professional computer technician.

My toshiba laptop has no picture on the screen. Everything

Customer Question

My toshiba laptop has no picture on the screen. Everything else is working. The computer is running and you can tell the screen is on, just no picture. What could it be?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im here to help.

lets try this routine first, and if it doesnt work then we will try another routine.

Shut down the computer.. Remove the power cord and battery.

then, press and hold the power button for 30 seconds... Then insert the battery, and the power cord.

Turn on the computer and then immediately start tapping the F8 key..

when it asks, choose safe mode with networking .. Once windows loads..

Do the following

Click start, all programs, accessories, system tools, system restore..

Click, restore my computer to an earlier pont, then click next..

We want to choose a restore point that was at least one day before the issues started..

Carry out the restore. the computer will restart, then let me know if that fixed the issue or not..

To get back to me..

Come back to Justanswer.com

On the top right, click login. use the same email address you used to ask this question.

Once logged in.

On the top right,, click on my questions. And you will see our question listed there.

Simply click our question, and send me a response!

Or, you can find any of my replies in your email, click on it and it will bring you back to Justanswer.com, and this specific question we are working on together!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Nothing is coming up on the screen when pushing F8

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Expert:  ChrisC replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be happy to help you today.

Just so I understand the issue, are you saying that at no point after turning the computer on that you get any image on the screen?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, no image at all. I also just tried to take the battery out, turn back on the computer and pressing F8. Still no picture at all, but there is a backlight
Expert:  ChrisC replied 2 years ago.
Okay, thank you.

Well here's the thing. If it were just a driver problem, then you would get an image until you booted into Windows. The fact that you're not getting an image at all means that one of two things is the case:

Either the screen has failed on a hardware level or the video adapter on the motherboard has died. The fact that you're getting a backlight on the screen lends a little more credence to the notion of it being a video card/motherboard problem, but it's also entirely possible that the backlight could still be working while the image manufacturing circuitry has gone out.

The only way to know for sure would be to try to isolate the problem by connecting an external monitor to the laptop. If you get an image on the monitor, then you know the screen is the problem. If you still don't get an image, then I'm afraid that points to a motherboard problem and the motherboard on the machine would simply have to be replaced.

In the case of a motherboard problem, to be honest with you, unless the machine is pretty new or you're just really attached to it, you'll probably find that it would be more cost-effective to simply replace it and transfer your data over from the hard drive than to try to have it repaired.

I wish I had an easy fix for you, but that's the situation you're looking at. If you have any other questions on this, just let me know. And if you found this helpful, please remember to click the ACCEPT button down here by my reply.
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast
Experience: 15 years as a professional computer technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX try to plug itin to an external monitor and there was no picture there either.. I guess its a lost cause. Thanks for your help!
Expert:  GhastRimsen replied 2 years ago.
Make sure when you plug it into an external monitor, you completely turn off the computer and restart it. That way when you boot it you have every chance of getting the bios screen to show up on the monitor. Also, hitting F2 while starting should enter the bios setup and that might show up on the external. Basically don't just start it up, plug it in after it loads and decide because nothing shows up its a motherboard issue.