Ryan B.
Ryan B., Laptop Technician
Experience:  I work in a Clinic IT Dept and resolve many laptop issues

i keep getting ads on my personal laptop when opening web pages

i keep getting ads on my personal laptop when opening web pages relating to conversations ive had outside or inside the home
Category: Laptop
Expert:  replied 2 years ago.

Ryan B. :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, my name is Ryan

Ryan B. :

could you explain in more detail what is happening?

Customer:

i have conversations with people inside and outside the home, and recieve ads on my laptop when browsing the internet, checking my emails. I also recieve newsthreads on my yahoo homepage about tv programmes im watching at the time, its really wierd, but im feeling freaked out,

Customer:

i havent recieved your answer Ryan

Ryan B. :

I think it's just coincedental

Ryan B. :

Ads on webpages are added to the webiste by the webmaster/website creater

Ryan B. :

so if you are on yahoo/google and you see an add their team put it together, there wouldn't be any reason that your house would have a bug/ wire tap that would make ads appear when you talk to someone

Ryan B. :

Although if you are worried you have something on your computer such as a virus you could download malwalrebytes from malwarebytes.org and run a free scan

Customer:

is someone who is clever enough able to send ads from companies related to you if they know your situation or conversations your having or able to listen to programmes your watchin on tv, eg. TSB, BUPA, Internet EXPLORER 9

Ryan B. :

that would only be possible if a hacker broke through your firewall on your computer and was monitoring you through your computers mic/cam, 99% of the time thats not the case though, no hacker would do that just to get you weirded out, hackers are about stealing financial data and giving your computers virus's. The only other people with that power would be like the FBI, but anyone that is trying to monitor you wouldn't post your conversations online for you to see, they would keep their traces hidden

Customer:

ive even recieved emails about conversations ive had or others have with me, and `bogus` emails with names of people i work with (theyre oblivious to this), someones hacked into my dormant facebbok account and added friends ive been out of touch with for years, and use a really rudely named domain link

Ryan B. :

you may wanna scan your computer for virus's and add an additional firewall and change all your passwords

Ryan B. :

also if you have a external mice or webcam unplug it

Customer:

i appreciate what youre saying and that the only people who could do this is FBI or people wanting financial information, but are there people out there clever enough to do this even if theyre not government agents? IT experts or just really clever hackers

Customer:

ive changed email adresses three times, passwords many times and even using a new laptop, but still its hapenning

Customer:

i dont know whats happening whats an external mice

Customer:

i wilol scan my computer for viruses, how can i add an additional firewall please, thanks

Ryan B. :

hackers are capable yes

Ryan B. :

a random person wouldn't be able to do it

Ryan B. :

this would require a lot of experience

Customer:

even when ive had conversations in my bedroom and on my landline phone, i`ll immediately get an email about those exact conversations via an established company such as MORE THAN and IVILLAGE BEAUTY NEWS.

Ryan B. :

does it happen daily?

Customer:

Yes, every day, sometimes twice a day, or whenever i have conversations or watch tv

Customer:

and it seems like its a bona fide email because its a well known company but the content is very personal

Ryan B. :

see if this was someone actually listening it it would be some random email

Ryan B. :

it wouldn't come from a legit company

Ryan B. :

what if you take your laptop and are gone all day using a wifi hotspot somewhere, and don't go home that day

Ryan B. :

will you still get them emails

Ryan B. :

i'm guessing it's just spam

Customer:

once i recieved an email whilst at home where i was resting in bed for hours during the day, and i recieved an email from lastminute.com (internet holiday booking i booked from before) headed `you are not alone`

Customer:

i will actually try that, i`ll take it too a random wifi spot and see if i still get them.

Customer:

if i dont get them then, does that mean my house is bugged/tapped

Customer:

i know it may sound really bizzare, but its freaking me out. Is it possible for someone to use ads or send ads from established companies

Ryan B. :

that would be my only theory would be if you are gone all day and don't experience it but do as soon as you get home then maybe It could be

Ryan B. :

unlikely but possible I guess

Ryan B. :

they can setup fake account and make it look like its coming from a legit address/website even though it's not

Customer:

omg that not good

Ryan B. :

most spammers use this technique

Ryan B. :

they can mask their email to look like it's coming from somewhere else

Customer:

im really upset now, do you think its someone or people who know me

Ryan B. :

do you know anyone that is computer savy, works in IT or graduated with an IT Degree?

Ryan B. :

I think it's unlikely

Ryan B. :

people spam all sorts of stuff, I get spam in my box every day that pertains to tons of different things

Ryan B. :

If you ever user your email anywhere or sign up for anywhere or if your email is anywhere on the internet spammers can find it and spam your account with whatever you may have been searching for ect. Or companies you sign up for could sell your email and tell other companies what you are interested in and then them companies can email you

Customer:

i know of someone with a business admin background but didnt complete the degree due to family problem

Customer:

but its personal stuff, about things i havent looked up always but purely just conversations ive had or tv im watching

Ryan B. :

yea, i'd start with adding the firewall, scanning your computer for virus's and try to be gone all day once and see if it still happens

Customer:

ok,

Ryan B. :

if it does then maybe look into buying a bug sweeper to scan your house for a bug

Customer:

ok,

Customer:

who could have put it there, thats terrible

Customer:

thanks for the links

Ryan B. :

your welcome

Ryan B. :

i'm not even sure, I don't know where you live or the area or anything. If there is something that you find though, I would recommend contacting the authorities

Customer:

i will check the link youve just sent me, i will contact the authorities if i find anything

Customer:

is there anything else i could do in the meantime for protection its doing my head in

Ryan B. :

nope, nothing that I can think of except scanning your computer, adding the firewall, if you have a webcam turn it off, if you have a microphone unplug it...

Customer:

how would i unplug the microphone

Ryan B. :

if you have an external standup microphone just follow the cable back to your computer tower and unplug it.

Full Size Image

Ryan B. :

what version of windows do you have?

Customer:

windows 7

Ryan B. :

alright, you can just mute the mic also.

First, open Control Panel. Look for Sound and open it.
Then at Playback tab, right click on Speakers then click on Properties.
Click on Levels tab, then you’ll see Microphone. There’s a speaker icon there, click on it and you’ll now got your Microphone mute.

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX i`ll do what youve advised, youve given some really good advice, thanks. Could i just ask one last question, im currently with Mcafee should i scan with Mcafee

Ryan B. :

Mcafee is good virus protection not real good with spyware/rootkits though

Ryan B. :

I would recommend download malwarebytes from malwarebytes.org or from the link below:

http://goo.gl/WfFyS

Customer:

brilliant, Ryan, ive just been checking, and when i went into control panel, i couldnt see micrphone but a speaker tone was there, is that the same thing, sorry

Ryan B. :

try following this guide instead:

Full Size Image

Ryan B. :

• ight Click on Speaker Icon in Taskbar Area

• Select “Recording Devices”

• Double click on the Active “Microphone”, or Right-Click on the active “Microphone” and select “Properties”

• Select the Levels Tab.

• Click on the Speaker button, to mute/unmute the microphone

Ryan B. :

If you are satisfied with my answer please remember to click accept and leave positive feedback :)

Customer:

hey, thats brilliant, ive just done that. Im satisfied with your answer. Im accepting will be giving positive feedback, thanks!

Ryan B. :

Great

Ryan B. :

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX great night!! Good Luck

Customer:

thanks you! take care.

Ryan B. :

Is there anything else I can help you out with, I noticed you haven't clicked accept yet

Customer:

oh sorry, i`ll just do that

Ryan B., Laptop Technician
Experience: I work in a Clinic IT Dept and resolve many laptop issues