Viet - Laptop Tech
Viet - Laptop Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of laptop (and desktop) hardware and software support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP etc.

Type help: When i type h, h6 and when g, g5 come up

Customer Question

Category: Laptop
Expert:  Viet - Laptop Tech replied 4 years ago.

Hi, and thanks for using

Please try this: turn off your computer. Then turn it on, and right after the black screen with white text or the computer company logo disappears, press & release key F8 repeatedly until a menu appears, then you select Safe Mode with Networking (note: if there is no menu, then try the same steps again, but this time, press key F8 a bit earlier). Then login and click Start->all programs->accessories->system tools->system restore and restore the computer to any date before this issue has occurred.

Next, please go to Safe Mode with Networking again, then click below and click on Download Latest Version, to download and install the Malwarebytes Anti-malware software. Then scan your computer:

Please right-click on (My) Computer, then click on Manage, then click on Device manager, then open/expand Keyboards and right-click the item(s) under it and click on Uninstall and confirm. Then restart the computer and check.

If needed, please connect a USB keyboard to the laptop, and see if it affects the USB keyboard also.

Please let me know if there is still any issue later. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Did it all but nothing changed. I don't have a usb keyboard, do I need to buy one?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Now the onscreen keyboard doesn't work.
You can test with a USB keyboard if possible (it's about $5 from your local computer store, or borrow one).

But it's strange the on-screen does not work either; it could be windows is corrupted. Please back up your files, then try this: turn off the computer, then turn it on and press the key F11 when the compaq logo appears on the screen to see if it can do a system recovery.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok, will try tomorrow. Ordered keyboard,be here in a couple of days. will let you know.
Thanks, Bob
OK, thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok, got the usb keyboard and it works fine while built in one still bad.
During this whole thing the mouse has been a little funny, assume keyboard doing this.
I assume keyboard needs cleaning? Sent to repair shop? Not really fixable?
Thanks, Bob
You can use an air can duster to clean the keyboard/laptop:
graphic ;source=lnms&tbm=shop&ei=dagYT7_PDcKyiQLr4p2wCA&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=6&ved=0CFgQ_AUoBQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.,cf.osb&fp=c30dee429ec9e911&biw=1848&bih=911

If it does not work, you can get a new laptop's keyboard for about $15: amp;prmd=imvns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=26cYT5axNYLjiALG7qnLCA&ved=0CGgQrQQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.,cf.osb&fp=c30dee429ec9e911&biw=1848&bih=911

, and the replacement instructions/illustrations are in the service manual at
; see starting page 4-7
(If you are not comfortable, you can have a repair shop replace the keyboard for you.)

Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you so much! I ordered the new keyboard and with your instructions I'm sure I can put it in.
Thanks again, Bob
You're welcome. Thank you.