Barun
Barun, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience in providing support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.
12615041

My computers hard drive is filling up on its own, Ive done

My computers hard drive is filling up on it's own, I've done a full virus scan and malware scan to no avail. I have computer knowledge, just wondering the best way to go about finding the files that are filling up my hard drive to delete them.

Are you using Windows XP, Vista, or 7?

Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Windows 7
Okay; is it the main (C:) drive that filling up, or any other drive?

Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just drive C:
Okay. First off, there's a handy freeware utility I would suggest you to download, as follows:
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard

Done that, run the same and click on the 'Run Cleaner' button in the window that comes up in order to do a comprehensive cleanup of useless data in your system.

This should free up your disk space considerably.

Done that, go to Start, type in %temp% in the search field, and press ENTER. Select and delete ALL of the contents of that folder.

Finally, if you don't use or need to use the Hibernate function (it takes up quite some space for storing the paging files in your system), you may turn it off. To do so, go to Start > All Programs > Accessories, right-click on 'Command Prompt' and select 'Run as administrator'. In the elevated command prompt that comes up, type powercfg -h off and press Enter.

Now, restart your computer accordingly.

Hope it helps. Keep me posted.

Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
These steps gave me 4 GB of space back on my C: drive. I will have to wait a couple hours to see if it is in fact fixed before I accept the answer, but so far so good.
Oh, good. Also, one other thing you may want to check up on:

Go to Start, right-click on 'Computer' and select Properties. Click on System Protection (in the left side), then click on 'Configure'. Here, you may set the disk space you want to allot to the System Restore points accordingly.

Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Even after this short time I see that the drive is in fact still filling up on it's own. I started with 4.61GB of free space and already I am down to 4.59. So it is still being filled on it's own. I already have system restore points set.
Now, go to Start, right-click on Computer and select Properties. Click on 'Advanced system settings', then click on Settings under 'Performance'. Click on the Advanced tab, then click on 'Change' under 'Virtual memory'.

What's the option selected there?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
http://i.imgur.com/iQ5H7.png
I see, thanks for the screenshot. Please check 'Automatically manage paging file size for all drives' and click Ok > Ok.

Also, have you set up automatic Windows Backup for your system, by any chance?

Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No I don't think I have done that.
Okay; now, type in backup in Start > Search, and click on 'Backup and Restore'. Has Windows Backup been set up?

Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
http://i.imgur.com/1EAtI.png
That looks all right. Do a restart now, please.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Resart complete and still filling up. What could be causing this and where are these files be stored? My hard drive is 283GB and I should have about half of that as free space, maybe 1/4 free, around 90 to 150gb free.
Go to Start, right-click on 'Computer' and select Properties. Click on System Protection (in the left side), then click on 'Configure'. How much disk space is alloted to System Restore here?

Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
http://i.imgur.com/EgXSS.png
I see; please set the "Max. Usage" to a lower value, say 2%. Apply the settings.

Now, The restore points created by System Restore, and the disk space taken up by "Virtual Memory", will use up a negligible amount of disk space from time to time - but this should not affect the total disk space available, by too much. Also, the temporary files created by the system and its programs will take up the rest of the space you see being filled up. I would suggest you to run CCleaner and clean out your %temp% files every once in a week to keep the disk space in check - from getting too filled up with useless data.

Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Alright cool, I am up to 11.2GB now. So you don't think its some kind of malware or something like that that is creating files on my computer? I remember my friend used to play a lot of EVE and the game would save screenshots on it's own a lot, filling up his hard drive very fast, it took him ages to find that out.
No, I'm pretty sure it's likely to be your system and programs' functions which are using up the disk space - and it's normal too; keeping the system optimized using the CCleaner tool to make sure that no useless data is taking up a big chunk of your disk space should be fine for now.

If you are still concerned about possible malware that might be taking up this disk space, you may download the following freeware (don't buy anything) security program, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/anti-virus/malwarebytes-anti-malware (click the blue 'Download now' button next to the down arrow icon)

Download, run and install the same, then carry out a quick system scan using the program, and remove the security threats detected, if any.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you sir, it appears that my computer is running properly again. I will be accepting your answer now. Thanks again.

Kyle.
Great, thank you, and Merry Christmas!

Regards