matthewpj73
matthewpj73, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 12 years of experience diagnosing and repairing laptop problems

toshiba canvio usb 3.0 not being recognized in windows 7 windows

Customer Question

toshiba canvio usb 3.0 not being recognized in windows 7 windows explorer, device manager, and/or disk manager
Category: Laptop
Expert:  matthewpj73 replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is Matthew and I would be happy to assist you today. You stated in your original question notes that you have uninstalled and reinstalled the USB 3.0 drivers. Where are you installing these drivers from? (where did you obtain them?)

Thank you,
Matthew
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Windows Update services
Thank you for that information. I just need to know what the model number of your Canvio is and I can supply you a fix.

Thank you,
Matthew
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

P/N = E05A100PBU3XS

M/N = 593500-D

S/N = 118PTD4VTKM5

Thank you!

Tino

Hello, thank you Tino, I apologize, I thought I had everything I needed. I also need the manufacturer and model number of your laptop or PC. This is where the problem would be.

Thanks,
Matthew
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dell Precision M6500

Thank you.

Tino

Your laptop has multiple USB ports...have you tried the device on all of them? It appears that there is also a eSATA port on the laptop which is very close to a USB port in appearance...make sure you aren't plugging the Canvio into it there.

Please let me know.

Thanks, Matthew
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I have tried both USB 3 ports - neither works. When I plug it into the eSATA or USB 2.0 native port, it comes up as a recognized device. When I plug it into the USB 3.0 port, the device light comes on, but windows doesnt display it in Device Manager, Disk Manager (Logical or Physical) or Windows Explorer.

Thanks,

Tino

Given all the information you have provided, it sounds like the BIOS on your laptop needs to be updated. There was a release by Dell last month of an updated BIOS driver for your laptop. The BIOS controls the USB functions, so it is the most probable issue.

You can download the new BIOS drivers by using this link.

Install the BIOS driver, restart your system and try the Canvio on the USB 3.0 ports again.

Let me know if you need further assistance or if you have any additional questions.

Thank you,
Matthew

Please click on ACCEPT so that I am credited for my work. Also if you would please take a moment to leave feedback after you ACCEPT that would be greatly appreciated.