D.M. Sutton
D.M. Sutton, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Laptop issues? I'm confident that I can provide a satisfactory answer to your question.

How can I stop NETwNs64.sys crashes?

Customer Question

How can I stop NETwNs64.sys crashes?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  D.M. Sutton replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I'd like to help you resolve this issue.

From what I've been able to find, it seems to me that this NETwNs64.sys file is indeed a driver for the built-in WiFi adapter of your laptop. However, a version of Norton AntiVirus installs a system file with the same name and extension. Most users have a pre-installed trial version of Norton that they never use, so the adapter could be mistaking the Norton .sys file as the driver and crashing every time.

Only if you have Norton AntiVirus installed, thoroughly uninstalling it and reinstalling the WiFi driver afterward can fix your problem. If you don't have Norton installed, disregard this answer.

Follow these steps if you don't mind uninstalling Norton:

1. Uninstall Norton via the Control Panel
2. After uninstalling, run CCleaner to clean temporary files and fix registry errors. You can get a portable version (run the .exe inside, no installing) here.
3. Reinstall or update the WiFi adapter driver with Device Manager or Windows Update

I hope this helps resolve your issue. If not, I'll continue to provide assistance to the best of my ability.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello Daniel --

Well, I uninstalled Norton (you were right, it was the trial version that came with the laptop that I don't use..I'm using Avast), ran CCleaner and checked the driver via Device Manager which told me that I have the most recent version. Unfortunately, the BSOD returned.

BTW - my Sony VAIO model is VPC-EB33FM/BJ running Windows 7 64-bit using Intel Core i3. The wireless driver is Intel(R) WiFi Link 1000 BGN. Here is the bluescreen info:

Dump File : 110611-25006-01.dmp
Crash Time : 11/6/2011 7:35:47 AM
Bug Check Code : 0x000000d1
Parameter 1 : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 2 : 00000000`00000002
Parameter 3 : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 4 : fffff880`05816431
Caused By Driver : NETwNs64.sys
Caused By Address : NETwNs64.sys+16431
File Description :
Product Name :
Company :
File Version :
Processor : x64
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+7cc40
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\110611-25006-01.dmp
Processors Count : 4
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 7601
Dump File Size : 277,696

This is giving me more gray hairs than I already have.

Thanks for your help.

Adrianne Johnson
It's no problem. I'll do what I can. I do have an idea, though.

1. Download and save the WLAN driver from the support website to an available flash drive. You can find the driver download page here.

2. Completely uninstall the WLAN driver in Device Manager, then restart the laptop.

3. Once the system is loaded, install the driver from the flash drive.

4. After it installs, restart the laptop even if you're not prompted to do so.

I hope this works for you. Let me know how it turns out. If it doesn't, I'll think of something else.