canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman
Experience:  i have extensive experience in the home improvement industry. my current job is at lowes home improvement.
64367226

In waterproofing outdoor faucets with more length to actual

Customer Question

In waterproofing outdoor faucets with more length to actual faucet from wall/ground to pipe when a styrofoam faucet cover is too short: We are wondering if wrapping the pipe with bubble wrap then with sweats material and taping will protect against occasional lows of down to zero. If not, what would you suggest for insulating these 3 faucets properly? And secondarily, do you believe these styrofoam covers we've used for years on other faucets are good for our zone climate? southwest New Mexico, btw. Thanks!
Category: Landscaping
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Outside faucets should be shut off and drained before Winter. None of the methods you mention will keep the faucet from freezing and maybe splitting in very cold weather.

Expert:  canuck the pro replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike and I have 20+ years of experience in the home improvement field. I'll be glad to assist you today.

In mild climates the foam covers you are using are actually quite helpful. Most issues are not actually caused by the faucet itself freezing but caused by leaving a hose hooked up to the outside faucet in freezing weather. The hose will freeze and the built up pressure in the hose will back up and break the outside faucet. It also depends on what type of faucet you have. Does it look like this? click here If so then there is no need for any insulation. This type is designed to shut off the water at least 6 inches behind the wall and the water beyond that automatically drains out which prevents any freezing as long as you have the hose disconnected and any fitting on the end of the faucet removed, like an irrigation timer or wye fitting.

I would also be happy to discuss over the phone if you would like any further clarification.

I could certainly clarify why different types of outside faucets work differently in freezing temperatures and other preventative measures.

Do you have any questions? I see you have declined the phone conversation but I am happy to continue in the chat if there is any clarification needed. Mike