W. Sorgen
W. Sorgen, ISA Ceritified Arborist
Experience:  Bachelor's degree in forestry, and owner of a residential/commercial tree service.
73238437

This is probably more an aesthetic question than a technical

Customer Question

Hi there,
This is probably more an aesthetic question than a technical question. I'm thinking about doing a full replacement of the fence for a property that I've just purchased. I've built a fence before but it's been years and that was a simple. What i'm wondering is, are there any good resources for creating a visually appealing fence? I'm probably going to go with pressure treated redwood, not sure about painting yet but i know that i don't want to just do just do the vertical off-set slats. I was also thinking about incorporating some built in planter boxes.
Do you have any resources for idea like this so i can see how people have implemented these ideas in the past?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Landscaping
Expert:  Andrew Fraser replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am happy to help with some ideas. First, how tall of a fence are you seeking and what geographic area are you located?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Northern California, and the fence wraps around the back year to the side so I'm thinking about 6ft along the back, in a solid or relatively solid fashion and then I'm going to drop it to ~3ft around the side and front with a more open feel.

Fencing is often selected to fit your neighborhood or the architectural style of the home. Here is a website that give some examples somewhat near you. http://www.fencefactory.com/wood-fence.php

And another is http://www.sierrafence.com/gallery/wood-fence-gallery-2/

I personally like the wire / wood fence as an option for your side fence. You maybe able to have them use the same wire instead of lattice for the top of a 6' fence for a more modern feel. Just an idea, and like I said, I don't know the style house.

Regarding planting, have you considered planting in front of the fence, or doing panels for a certain length and then just a "green fence" ?