W. Sorgen
W. Sorgen, ISA Ceritified Arborist
Experience:  Bachelor's degree in forestry, and owner of a residential/commercial tree service.

My redwood tree is dying from the top down. i've given it an

Customer Question

my redwood tree is dying from the top down. i've given it an anti fungal 2 times (at the first of each month)...not helping
JA: What kind of climate are you in?
Customer: central ca...san joaquin valley...fresno/clovis/ca
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if possible, but i will pay a specialist if it will save my tree
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Landscaping
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 6 days ago.

The most problems that redwoods have are related to planting in areas that they do not tolerate. If the top of your tree is dying, that is a sign that there is a root problem. Check the base of your tree for any signs. If you scrape away a portion of the bark at the base and notice any kind of discoloration or whitish growth it could be a root fungus. This sounds silly but smell the base. If it smells like mushroom you definitely have a fungus and should consult an arborist.

Expert:  W. Sorgen replied 6 days ago.
More information is needed before any sort of diagnosis can made or treatment prescribed. First, how old is the tree? How tall is it? Has it ever been pruned, and if so, when? Is it irrigated? How often? How is the soil drainage? What is best the base of the tree? If have any pictures in attach, that is always helpful.
Expert:  W. Sorgen replied 6 days ago.
I am a certified arborist, by the way.