W. Sorgen
W. Sorgen, ISA Ceritified Arborist
Experience:  Bachelor's degree in forestry, and owner of a residential/commercial tree service.
73238437

My redwood tree is dying from the top down. i've given it an

my redwood tree is dying from the top down. i've given it an anti fungal 2 times (at the first of each month)...not helping
JA: What kind of climate are you in?
Customer: central ca...san joaquin valley...fresno/clovis/ca
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if possible, but i will pay a specialist if it will save my tree
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no

The most problems that redwoods have are related to planting in areas that they do not tolerate. If the top of your tree is dying, that is a sign that there is a root problem. Check the base of your tree for any signs. If you scrape away a portion of the bark at the base and notice any kind of discoloration or whitish growth it could be a root fungus. This sounds silly but smell the base. If it smells like mushroom you definitely have a fungus and should consult an arborist.

More information is needed before any sort of diagnosis can made or treatment prescribed. First, how old is the tree? How tall is it? Has it ever been pruned, and if so, when? Is it irrigated? How often? How is the soil drainage? What is best the base of the tree? If have any pictures in attach, that is always helpful.
I am a certified arborist, by the way.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My tree looks pretty much the same (top 6 feet dead brown, rest green) and i will do the 3rd session (beginning of the 3rd month) of the anti fungal today as it is supposed to rain tonight. Someone said i should cut the dead top off and it would regrow, but i had always heard that you never cut the top of a tree off. What to do???
Terry
The advice to not top a tree is thrown out; your tree has dead top. There's no reason to keep a dead top. Your tree will send up new growth to take over as the new top. In the event that more than one top starts to develop, thin them out so that just one top remains.
I still wonder whether a fungus is to blame for your dead top. Can you please answer the questions I posed previously regarding your tree? It seems quite likely that the die-back is due to drought and has nothing to do with any fungal infection.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the tree was planted in 2007 from a 15 gallon container. there are 6 others like it in my yard. all others are doing fine. i cannot smell anything and i see no white growing at the base. i just had the bottom 18 inches of branches cut off so i could better see that it is receiving water. could lack of water kill the top down? it is 25 ft tall. it has never been pruned until i just had the bottom trimmed. we have good soil...the rest of my trees go from35 feet tall to the newest which are only about12 to 15 feet tall. this particular tree is set by itself and not grouped in threes like the other 6. good drainage.
drought stress in conifers tend to affect the trees from the top down. Most fungal problems affect trees from the bottom up (that's where the moisture levels are highest, thus better environment for fungal activity).
You're in the California Central Valley, right? These are young trees, you're in the midst of a drought, probably drought stress.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you so much for your help.
You're welcome. Be sure to rate my service.
W. Sorgen, ISA Ceritified Arborist
Experience: Bachelor's degree in forestry, and owner of a residential/commercial tree service.