W. Sorgen
W. Sorgen, ISA Ceritified Arborist
Experience:  Bachelor's degree in forestry, and owner of a residential/commercial tree service.
73238437

We have an orange tree in the back yard. It has good size

Customer Question

We have an orange tree in the back yard. It has good size oranges on it. They are green - not ripe yet. I am wondering if feeding it is a good idea at this time or not? What feed would you recommend. I do have Miracle Grow.
Category: Landscaping
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Best to fert early in the Spring and right after you harvest the fruit. You want to use a slow release 10-10-10 fertilzer (one with micro nutrients magnesium, boron, copper and zinc) not Miracle Grow. Also best to fert late in the day and water it in well.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Based on your reply, I should not fertilize since it is not spring? Or can I go ahead with a slow release fertilizer? Does fertilizing has any effect on the taste of the fruite?
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

At this stage fertilizing won't help much so it's best to wait until after you harvest the fruit then again in the Spring when it starts to bud up.