Andrew Fraser
Andrew Fraser, Landscaper
Experience:  B.S. Landscape Horticulture, Master Pesticide Applicator, 27 Years Green Industry Exp.
93161209

I have a dense shaded area in my garden an would like to

Customer Question

I have a dense shaded area in my garden an would like to plant lawn. What kind of lawn and seed should I buy?
Category: Landscaping
Expert:  Andrew Fraser replied 2 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for your question. Grass is essentially a sun loving plant. Some varieties tolerate a degree of shade better than others, but don't thrive. Often shade alone isn't what directly relates to the poor performance. Root zone competition from trees for water and nutrients in conjunction of limited sun makes for a much worst situation. To further the issue, dense soils, such as soils that cause tree roots to be visible on the surface are almost impossible to grow grass. With all this said, is your shade situation caused by trees or buildings, what is the soil like and is there a way to allow more light into the space, such as pruning ? As for a specific grass seed, 6 hours of sunlight is the base requirement. 4 is pushing it. Scott's is marketing a Dense Shade mix that says 3 hours of sun light is OK. That would be my fist recommendation.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for the response. The area is under bargola with no sun light due to over grown plant on top
If you have no sunlight, I would recommend artificial turf. There are a good number of options that look like a home lawn. And because it isn't in the direct sun, it will last longer.

I'm checking back on your shade concern. Is pruning or removing the plant on part of the pergola an option?