W. Sorgen
W. Sorgen, ISA Ceritified Arborist
Experience:  Bachelor's degree in forestry, and owner of a residential/commercial tree service.
73238437

My pine trees are turning red and dying. I have cut down all

Customer Question

My pine trees are turning red and dying. I have cut down all the dead ones and have found holes in the tree trunk almost as if they were bored by a drill. Some I found a larvae and am wondering what is causing this. I lose more trees each year. They seem to attack the large older trees as the younger ones are not affected. How can I stop this infestation.
Category: Landscaping
Expert:  Andrew Fraser replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. Pines are very prone to such issues. Do you know the type of pine tree, e.g. White, Red, Scotch, ? and what is your general geographical location?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The trees are predominantly Jack Piine and White Pine in this area. I am north of the 49 parallel in Manitoba Canada. This is Central Canada with very cold winters and quite warm summers. These bugs somehow survive the winters.

Ok. Without seeing the bug, I cannot be certain. Pictures would help. With that said there is the very real concern that the Mountain Pine Beetle has reached east as predicted. This insect is destroying thousands of acres and was migrating to central Canada. Here is a link: http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/forests/fire-insects-disturbances/top-insects/13397

Another article worth reading is here: http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2015/04/pine-beetles/rosner-text

Now, it could be the bark beetle or maybe even a weevil. But either way this is a situation that I highly suggest you use a licensed arborist / plant health care technician for. First, Canada has an extremely limited selection OTC pesticides due to environmental concerns. Second, the tree need very thorough treatment of the bark and requires powerful spray guns to reach the full altitude of the tree. Also, newer methods of injecting the tree with systemics can work while also limiting the environmental concern of spray drift. And because there is the potential of this insect being the Mountain Pine Beetle, local foresters may wish to know for proper monitoring.

I hope this helps and good luck. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thank you!

Andrew

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your I put but you only told me what I already know so I am sry to say the information was not very helpful. Thanks for trying.

Good luck.

Expert:  W. Sorgen replied 3 months ago.

The beetles are usually only successful at infesting trees that are already stressed by other factors, such as drought. The older, larger trees have a higher demand for water, so they are usually stressed by drought more severely than younger trees, making them more susceptible. To help prevent trees from being infested with beetles, irrigation during dry weather is a great start.

As for "over the counter", have you looked at the web site TreeStuff.com? They have tree injection capsules that you should be able to order without special licensing requirements. All you need is a cordless drill and a rubber mallet.