Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired contractor, 51 years experience
23932409

Okay so.. I'm having a problem at my estate in Sri Lanka,

Customer Question

Okay so.. I'm having a problem at my estate in Sri Lanka, Bandarawela. I have young agarwood trees that are not able to withstand the heavy winds in this region. During windy season I tried several things to secure my plants but I need help on deciding which method would be best.
My estate has 25 acres of usable land on which 5,000+ trees have already been planted.
I can attach pictures and show who ever has a good enough solution for me what all I have tried so far.
Kindly consider the cost of the solution as it has to be done for many trees as well. There are very expensive solutions that I have in mind as well but I'm not going ahead with those because it wouldn't be financially feasible to do so.
Category: Landscaping
Expert:  Phil replied 3 months ago.

Hello, please use the paper clip icon at the right end of your tool bar, or the attach files link to the left of you send button, to send me 4 or 5 pictures.

I will look the situation over and advise.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Great. That's what I was planning on doing Phil. I dunno why but JustAnswer has reduced the original question that I posted. Need to give a lot more details so that you can understand what my current predicament is.
Expert:  Phil replied 3 months ago.

Give me all the detail you like, the more the better, especially I want to know how large in diameter the trees have to get before they do not need this additional support.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Phil,Attached below are a few of the pictures I took at my estate yesterday. Now, as you can see.. We tried 4 different things:1) We put 2 g.i pipes to support the young trees from either sides and those trees were unharmed but the cost of putting two galvanized iron pipes per tree is kinda expensive.2) We put 1 g.i pipe per tree and that caused a few problems because the sharp end of the g.i pipe brushed repeatedly against the tree and sort of damaged the tree. We've managed to put some type of plant tape on the agarwood tree to protect and repair the tree. We also tried putting a rubber cap on the sharp edge but our horticulturist believes that it will still harm the tree.3) We tried putting a mesh around the tree but that's kinda suffocating the branches and our horticulturist says that it will surely fail. We plan on securing the mesh to the ground using U-clips4) We built a conical support for the tree as you can see in one of the pictures. That has very sharp edges so this time around we put the tape before you applied the support so that it doesn't get damaged during stormy weather.Now.. My question to you is.. What is the most economical, resuable and practical solution here? That's where I need your help.And to answer your question.. The tree can survive most storms after it's about 50mm in diameter. That will be in a year for a few plants and about 2-3 years for the balance plants..Regards,
Murtaza Kothari
Expert:  Phil replied 3 months ago.

Thanks,

Use two pipes, but not galvanized iron. Much less expensive is 1/2" EMT thin wall electrical conduit $2.28 click here

That will work, however if you wanted it even stronger use

3/4" EMT thin wall conduit $3.36 USA prices scroll down the page for that price.

1/2" galvanized pipe is $14.50 per 10 feet by comparison, about 5 times more expensive.. That 5 times less cost ratio will apply in Shri Lanka as well as the US.

Its time to locate the "finish and rate" link and click on it, I will appreciate that very much, its how I earn a living. In exchange I will hold the question open to you for any further assistance you might need. Thanks!