W. Sorgen
W. Sorgen, ISA Ceritified Arborist
Experience:  Bachelor's degree in forestry, and owner of a residential/commercial tree service.
73238437

We planted two avocados in a home bush block about 2years

Customer Question

We planted two avocados in a home bush block about 2years ago(on the top of a slope which goes down to bush - soil clay and gravel but we added plenty of bought in garden soil + fertilizers etc)
One a Reed is doing well the other a dwarf (which is now easily 4 metres high) both well sprayed monthly approx. with Yates Anti rot - 3 ml per litre. The Reed is fine but the other looked very healthy until following a cold snap (we are about 8 minutes from the sea on the Gold Coast - so frost free)all the leaves drooped - I've asked advice from two plant nurseries - one said it was dehydrated - water it plenty - the other said it had had too much water - I gave up - pruned the lower branches and they were green inside - it does appear to have some healthy buds coming and the top of the tree appears healthier with upright leaves ???? any suggestions. --- Sonia (83 ) and stay healthy eating lots of avocados
Category: Landscaping
Expert:  Andrew Fraser replied 4 months ago.

Hello!

Avocado plants have natural periods of leaf shed, however timing can best be described as "personal" as seen in various orchards that will have a fully leafed plant next to a fully defoliated plant. Essentially times of defoliation occur after water stress, disease stress such as common foliar disease, and when flowers are being set. In all cases, if you have new growth and bud set, there shouldn't be any concern regarding plant health moving forward.

Did you have any further concerns on this mater that I can address?