W. Sorgen
W. Sorgen, ISA Ceritified Arborist
Experience:  Bachelor's degree in forestry, and owner of a residential/commercial tree service.
73238437

I would like to DIY install turf grass to replace what's

Customer Question

I would like to DIY install turf grass to replace what's left of my old lawn. How do I do this? I understand I can buy the turf at Home Depot, but what the best way to install it and maintain it so I don't have to care for our front lawn. Thank you in advance for your help.
Category: Landscaping
Expert:  Mark Brehob replied 5 months ago.

What zone do you live in? If it's a sunny location I would suggest a bluegrass mix. If somewhat shady, a fescue mix would work. In deep shade it will be hard to keep turf grass growing successfully. This is not a hard process. My suggestion is to grow from seed. What you need to remember is that once the seed is moist, it needs to stay moist. Don't drench it with water. Once it becomes established you should mow it high(4-5") for a couple weeks. Picking up a starter fertilizer may not be a bad idea as well. You can find that at any local hardware supply company.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sorry. I think I confused. I live in California and want to install fake grass--artificial turf. Can you help with how to do that?