W. Sorgen
W. Sorgen, ISA Ceritified Arborist
Experience:  Bachelor's degree in forestry, and owner of a residential/commercial tree service.
73238437

I am looking answer to my question about my dwarf cherry

Customer Question

I am looking for an answer to my question about my dwarf cherry tree, which I think you have.
Category: Landscaping
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Sounds like you're describing the early stages of Black Knot. It's a fungal infection that's very common in New England. The initial stage kills off the new(er) growth. It doesn't sound like borers. If you had borers the problem wouldn't be so localized and you would see tiny holes in the trunk and larger branches. You need to prune off all the dead growth dipping your shears in alcohol or bleach after every cut so as to not spread the infection. Then treat the tree with a fungicide suitable for this type of infection. Check your local nursery or farm supply outlet for what's available locally. Cherry trees are probably the most difficult fruit tree to grow due to their susceptibility to a number of fungal diseases, black knot being the most common.