W. Sorgen
W. Sorgen, ISA Ceritified Arborist
Experience:  Bachelor's degree in forestry, and owner of a residential/commercial tree service.
73238437

Our 300 year old oak has suddenly developed, what I think is

Customer Question

Our 300 year old oak has suddenly developed, what I think is the fungus Chicken in the Wood. What action do you advise, please.
Category: Landscaping
Expert:  Andrew Fraser replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. First, I will attach a good link for you to review both picture and information of the fungal issue. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laetiporus

Now, the reality of what this means. Tree preservation for such an old tree can only go on for so long. The fungal mass that you are seeing indicates major structural issues within the tree. There are numerous reasons why it happens. To me, the first thing you need to be concerned with is safety. If and when this tree does fail, where will it fall. If this is a high risk area, it may be time to remove it. If the tree is in a lower risk area, having the canopy pruned of any dead, diseased or damaged wood is essential. Depending on the structure of the tree, weight reduction may be required but can only be done if the tree is vigorous enough to over come the loss of leaf surface.

Again, once the rot has begun it is nearly impossible to stop. It likely started because of a structural issue, ripped branch, bad cut, or damage of some sort many years ago.

Beyond the fungal mass, how do you describe the overall appearance of the tree? Is the root zone free of pavement and compaction ?

I'm checking back to ensure you have the info you wanted. Can you please let me know if you have? Thank you!