Andrew Fraser
Andrew Fraser, Landscaper
Experience:  B.S. Landscape Horticulture, Master Pesticide Applicator, 27 Years Green Industry Exp.

I have a row of Pittosporums that are about 1.5m high

Customer Question

Hi - i have a row of Pittosporums that are about 1.5m high and are about 2 years old. One has begun to wilter and it is not due to the lack of mosture, what could it be?
Category: Landscaping
Expert:  Andrew Fraser replied 5 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question.What is the growing soil of these plants? More often than not, the wilt with these plants is from too much water or a root rot disease, again relating to "wet feet". When a plant wilts, there is always the temptation to give it more water. Can you please send a picture of the growing condition/site may help me either lean this way or against? Thank you!
Hi there, just checking back to see if you needed any further assistance with the plants. Please let me know! Thank you!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The plants are on a slope and the one affected is the last one and the lowest. The soil is naturally sandy but i built up the topsoil with organic matter prior to planting 2 years ago. we have had quite a bit of rain during the last month but have had a sunny week this week and i have watered them and are hoping that it will dry out. it doesn't seem to be getting any worse or any better, how can i treat it?
images attached too.
Hello, sorry I missed your request last night.With the plant being the lowest, and no other visible signs on the upper portion of the plant like white masses, I feel strongly of the root rot. These plants perform fine in sand, and any bed their planted in should always allow full drainage of surface water. They simply do no like wet feet.Fungicides are very limited to the homeowner. Here is a link general root rot treatment. You should shop your local nursery for possible products. you said it isn't getting worst gives me hope you can save it.If you still need to talk, I'm on EST. I check this message board every couple hours. Let me know a time if needed, but really don't think I can offer another solution with what you have presented. Let me know either way. Thanks!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you.
Good luck with the plant, and thanks again for trying the service.
If you could please rate my service, it would be much appreciated!
I'm sorry, did you have more questions?