Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

I want to plant a blueberry bush, a raspberry bush, a

Customer Question

I want to plant a blueberry bush, a raspberry bush, a blackberry bush and a grapevine in southeastern PA.Would it be suitable to plant each (or any) of those bushes in a 4' x 4' x 10" raised bed garden: and, if "Yes" what would be the best bed preparation to make?I like to grow organically, so should I plant some insect repellants around the bushes.If the 4' x 4' x 10" raised beds are not suitable, how would it suit to plant in a Jack Daniels oak half-barrel "planter"; and what would be proper preparation of the planter?
Category: Landscaping
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.
Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.Blackberries and raspberries are invasive so you need to isolate them from each other and the other things you want to plant. Actually none of these will do well in the same bed with the others. You could plant both black and raspberries in the same bed as long as you install a divider to keep their roots from running into the other's area. Blueberries like moist soil grapes do not. Neither does well in a barrel type container. You could do the same as with the other berries, plant each in a divided bed. All of these except the grapes will do well with good loam and a top dressing (an inch or 2) of compost. Grapes like not too fertile soil and require very good drainage. So if you are going to plant grapes in the same divided bed as the blueberries then mix coarse gravel in with your loam. While blueberries will do ok without a full day sun grapes can't have any shade at all.